Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
3 weeks post abortion and hCG levels still going up

3 weeks post abortion and hCG levels still going up

1. 16ali
    16ali

Hi, I had a medical abortion on the 11/08/16 due to health reasons. About 2.30 that day I passed what I think was the embryo, then started to bleed. Over tne next few hours I bleed and passed about two really big clots. Not long after passing 2nd clot I went to the toilet again but this time could feel that my cervix had closed. It felt as if I had more to pass but I never did. After this, the bleeding eased and around 7/8ish that evening it felt as if my hormone level had subsided and felt really normal (had been right snappy and not so nice person leading up to the abortion). I have had no complications until i done a clear blue test on 9/08/16- result 2-3 weeks positive. Went to hospital today for blood – hCG 3538. Done 2nd clear blue test – result 3+ weeks? Is my hCG going up? Could I be pregnant again? Really confused.

08/11/2016 at 11:57 pm
  2. Dear 16ali,

I think the date you provided to me is wrong, as it doesn’t make sense you had the abortion yesterday 11/08/2016 and the title you wrote is “3 weeks post abortion”. Can you give me the right date, so I can be able to help, please?

Regards

08/12/2016 at 8:32 am
  3. Hi, sorry 22/07/16

08/12/2016 at 11:47 am
    • Hello again 16ali,

Thank you very much. Honestly I don’t know what is wrong in this case, as it does not make sense that hCG levels have continued to rise 3 weeks post medical abortion. Maybe the result of your 2nd clearblue test has varied a little bit from the first one, but actually the result is the same. I would say you should rely more on the blood test beta-hCG result than on that of the clearblue test.

Anyhow, my advice is that you visit your OB/GYN and have an ultrasound scan done.

All the best

08/12/2016 at 12:35 pm
  4. Hi they’ve asked me to go in Tuesday for 1.
    Just trying to make sense of it all

08/12/2016 at 1:55 pm
    • Wishing you the best of luck, 16ali! Hope you share the final outcome 😉

08/16/2016 at 11:41 am
  5. Hiya Sandra,
    I had a scan on Tuesday, it confirmed that I’ve had a failed termination, meaning the sac never came away.
    I was back to the hospital today to start the procedure again. I’ve taken 1st tablet today and have to go in to hospital all day Friday to have the 5 tablets spread over 15hr.
    The emotional impact this his having on me at the moment is so unreal. Really hope it works this time.
    I will let you know either Fri or Sat how it all goes.
    Thank you gor you support and advice

08/18/2016 at 1:42 am
    • Hello again 16 ali, how do you feel today?

First, all techniques for termination of pregnancy carry a small risk of failure, which is known as “unintentional continued pregnancy”, especially in the 1st trimester of pregnancy. Such risk is approx. 1-14 per 1,000 for early medical abortion (less than 63 days) and 2.3 per 1,000 for surgical abortion. There is a higher failure rate for terminations performed before the 7th week of pregnancy than those carried out at 7-12 weeks gestation.

As for the emotional & psychological impact you’re experiencing now, well I can say it’s normal for women in your situation to experience a range of mixed feelings (guilt, relief, anxiety, regret, sadness…). The good news is that, in the majority of cases, these feelings are transitory, and last for just weeks or months. Keep in mind that there is a record of a higher number of cases of postpartum depression than emotional problems derived from abortion.

Support from your family, friends, partner and those around you is crucial these days, 16ali. So, my advice is that you try spend some time with them now to keep your mind busy and fill it with happy stories, moments and experiences. I’m sure you’ve plenty of hobbies or things to do which may help you cope with your current situation.

You can count on us too, of course! 🙂

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Best

08/18/2016 at 8:16 am
  6. Morning,
    I went in to hospital as arranged yesterday. I had an ultrasound scan and the 4 tablets internally and then 6 tablets orally over the next 9hrs. They let me return home at 5.30 due to the fact that nothing had passed. Before I went the sister scanned me again. Whatever’s left to be passed hadn’t moved at all.
    How long can this take to come away?

08/20/2016 at 10:20 am
    • Hello 16ali,

Well, sometimes the very small embryo cannot be seen at all, because it’s expelled along with blood and tissue, and the only thing the woman sees is just blood in the toilet or in her sanitary napkin, so the embryo goes unnoticed. It just depends on the length of the pregnancy.

You should understand that a medical abortion is a process, and the body needs time to recover fully. In 95% of abortions, the woman’s body eliminates all the remains naturally, but as I said, it takes time for the uterus to empty. So, it’s normal that the clotting and/or bleeding continues for 1-3 weeks, or even longer – each body is different.

Should you have extreme pain, abnormal vaginal discharge, a prolonged heavy bleeding or even fever, do not hesitate to visit or contact your doctor at once.

I hope I have been able to help,

All the best

08/22/2016 at 8:29 am
  7. Hello everyone,

This thread continues here: 3 weeks post medical abortion and positive test.

You can continue posting as many questions and replies as you wish there.

Regards

09/20/2017 at 3:55 pm

The topic ‘3 weeks post abortion and hCG levels still going up’ is closed to new replies.