Alternatives to general anesthesia in egg retrieval for egg donation?

1.  TinyDonor

Hello, I’d like to donate my eggs, because I’m young and everything, but the fact that general anesthesia is used backs me off. Does it take too long for them to retrieve your eggs during follicular puncture? I’ve never been sedated in this way and have heard thousand of stories that make it so scary… I’m a strong person, but I’ve got my limits and would like to get a detailed explanation about every risk I’m embracing by starting a process like this one. Help, please. Thanks!

January 21, 2016 at 1:24 pm
    #8208 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear TinyDonor,

The process of egg retrieval via follicular puncture is not performed under general anesthesia but just under sedation. It stands for a mild sedation so that you do not notice anything related to the follicular puncture process. There is no reason to worry, since you won’t be conscious during surgery.

As for how long does this process take, it should be clear that its duration may vary depending on how many follicles you have produced. However, for you to have an idea, it takes usually around 15-30 minutes. Although it is performed in the operating room, hospital admission is not necessary; in other words, you can come back home that day.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

January 25, 2016 at 1:47 pm
    #8209 Reply
    • Hi, egg retrieval is set for 3 weeks from now, and I’m so nervous!! I have never ever been under anesthesia so… it’s giving me some anxiety, but mostly I am scared about OHSS and all that stuff… and also I’ve heard about internal bleeding from the procedure. Wish me the best of luck!

May 3, 2016 at 8:30 am
      #9314 Reply
    • Don’t worry my dear, it’ll be easy peasy and it’s not full anesthesia. Bleeding is highly unlikely and OHSS… well, it’s true that it’s just really uncomfortable… Good Luck, my dearest!

May 4, 2016 at 9:08 am
      #9316 Reply
    • Thank you!

May 5, 2016 at 8:02 am
      #9315 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
I have fear of needles, can I take oral medications for egg donation? 6 4 months ago
I’ve been chosen as an egg donor, what’s next? 2 6 months ago
Increased risk of unplanned pregnancy if I donate my eggs? 2 10 months ago
Anyone looking for egg donors in New York? 1 11 months ago
Epigenetics and egg donation 4 1 month ago
I’d like to be tested for as many things as possible before donating my eggs 3 4 months ago
How are eggs retrieved from ovaries? 2 6 months ago
What are the side effects of egg donation? 2 11 months ago
Pros and cons of using donor eggs: is egg donation dangerous? 4 11 months ago
No symptoms after embryo transfer with donor eggs 2 11 months ago