Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Can you donate your eggs if you have PCOS?

Can you donate your eggs if you have PCOS?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Crystal*</span>
    Crystal*

Hello! My name is Crystal and I’m 25… I’m blonde with blue eyes and I’d like to be an egg donor. I’m from the US, although I was born Irish… As I said I’d like to donate my eggs but the problem is I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 years ago 🙁 I’m trying to cope with it everyday, but I’d like to help some other women out there, do I have any chance of donating my eggs? Just let me know, thanks!

11/09/2015 at 3:24 pm
  2. Hello Crystal,

Provided that you meet all the requirements to become an egg donor, you will be accepted as a donor despite having been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). It does not pose a problem as long as the remaining screening testing is okay, that is to say, the genetic screening, blood tests, serology, etc.

However, the following info is of special interest for women with PCOS wishing to become egg donors. Ovum donors must go through an ovarian stimulation treatment before undergoing follicular puncture (egg retrieval). Thus, it should be clear that women with PCOS have greater chances of developing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). That is why in your case, the gynecologist will schedule a thorough monitoring to control both the medication dosage and follicular growth; this will prevent you to develop OHSS.

Despite women with PCOS are more likely to develop OHSS, egg donation turns out to be a highly safe process, which means that you can get started with the treatment with complete confidence.

To learn more about who can become an oocyte donor, check this out: Donating eggs: How can a woman become an egg donor?

I hope I have been able to help you 😉

11/11/2015 at 8:48 am
Leave a reply