Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Differences between egg donation and embryo donation

Differences between egg donation and embryo donation

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">charlotte elliot</span>
    charlotte elliot

Hi there, I’d like to figure out what’s the difference between egg donation and embryo donation or adoption because I’m currently going through all this stuff, but have many doubts yet… Doctor told me I could choose one of them, but don’t even have the slightest idea on which one should I choose. What’s clear to me is that I cannot use my own eggs… Any advice on which one would you choose or recommend? Mine is a case of single motherhood by choice.

Thank you very much, I hope you are able to help me out!

02/05/2016 at 3:11 pm
  2. Dear charlotte,

Given that you are planning to become a single mother by choice, you’ve been offered these two options because it is only obvious that you are not going to use your partner’s sperm.

Therefore, in case you chose egg donation, the embryos would be created with donor eggs and donor sperm. Regardless of whether you go for anonymous egg donation or known egg donation, both the physical characteristics of both donors will be similar to yours as long as posible.

As for embryo donation and adoption, donated embryos have been donated by a couple who have decided to do so with their leftover embryos after a cycle of assisted reproduction.

When it comes to making up your mind as to which one is the best for you, you should weight up which are each technique’s pros and cons. In this sense, in case you have a preference for embryo adoption, you should keep in mind that donated embryos do not necessarily come from donor eggs, which means that egg quality may not be as optimal as that obtained with donor eggs. The fact that the biological mother of these embryos was not a young woman may have an impact on egg quality by hindering the chances of embryo implantation. And the same applies to male reproductive cells.

In case you decide to use undergo double-donor IVF, that is, both gametes being donated, it is likely that the chances for embryo implantation to occur were higher. Nevertheless, nothing can give us a 100% probability that embryo implantation will take place.

This is just my advice, but I’m afraid I cannot provide you further help on this subject, because it is actually a very personal decision. I hope I have been able to help anyway.

Best wishes

02/16/2016 at 3:34 pm
Leave a reply