Home  >  Forums  >  Egg Donation  >  Surrogacy

Does a surrogate mother have rights to the child?

1. Hello there,

We’re a gay couple, my name is James, and we are in a bundle of joy right now bc our gestational carrier is now 3 months pregnant, everything going perfectly wonderful! 🙂 My husband and I have been married for 3 yrs now, really wishing to hold our baby!!! Do you know whether the GC could say “sorry, the baby is mine” once she gives birth? i mean, could this be possible? We’ve signed an agreement and she’s waived her rights, but we don’t have any birth order or something similar saying “ok, you’re the legal parents”… that would make us feel comfy!! This is happening in California btw… does it change anything? thx!

August 4, 2016 at 8:14 am
    #10040 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear meerkat89,

First of all, you should know that, in the USA, there isn’t a federal law on surrogacy, but laws vary from state to state. Fortunately, you’re doing it in California, the most surrogacy-friendly of all US states.

The state of California does accept surrogacy agreements, although it has no statute addressing the process itself. The state’s courts use California’s Uniform Parentage Act for interpreting different cases linked to this reproductive procedure.

Also, the state makes it possible for all intended parents to establish their legal parental rights, regardless of the marital status, sexual orientation, etc. Such rights will be established prior to the birth of the child(ren). Neither proceedings for adoption are necessary.

I hope this helps

All the best!

August 4, 2016 at 8:21 am
    #10041 Reply
  3. I wish you the best!
    This fear that the surrogate mother can just say that it is her baby and that we will get nothing was the main reason for us not to opt for the surrogacy in US. Thankfully we had a lot of other options, they were different but we have managed to find the perfect one. Our surrogate will soon sign the refusal of the babies and they will be our really soon.

October 6, 2016 at 10:17 am
    #10305 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
What to do in the event of divorce of the intended parents 3 6 months ago