Does IVF egg temperature affect embryo development?

1.  arabella

Hi there,

I’m going to start a frozen donor egg cycle but have many doubts related to egg temperature changes. As far as I know, donated eggs are stored at the body temperature of the donor, but what about abrupt temperature changes when they are frozen? I’m worried my donor eggs lose their value after being defrosted.

February 17, 2016 at 2:58 pm
    #8655 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear arabella,

in every process where female human reproductive cells are manipulated, either in the collection, shipping to the laboratory, capacitation and later cryopreservation or fertilization procedures, experts use media and surfaces conditioned at 37°C, so temperature changes do not have an impact on egg quality.

When it is time to freeze the eggs, cryopreservation media are used, which avoid the formation of ice crystals that would cause breakage of the cell membranes. Thanks to latest advances in cryopreservation techniques, the survival rates of frozen eggs is really high, especially in the case of donor eggs, which are of an exceptional quality.

Thus, for your own peace of mind, success rates of frozen donor eggs are similar to those obtained in fresh cycles.

I hope I have been able to help,

March 2, 2016 at 3:36 pm
    #8656 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Human Papillomavirus and egg freezing 2 10 months ago
How many tries with donor eggs before getting pregnant? 2 8 months ago
Becoming a mom at 50 via egg donor 6 4 months ago
Making sure my donor eggs are of an exceptional quality 2 8 months ago
No healthy embryos to be transferred after PGD 2 7 months ago
How much does it cost to buy frozen donor eggs in the United States? 3 9 months ago
Ideal moment for egg vitrification 2 5 months ago
Frozen donor eggs vs fresh 3 1 year ago
Donating eggs through private or agency? 3 1 year ago
ICSI if using donor eggs? 2 11 months ago