Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Egg donation and rhesus incompatibility

Egg donation and rhesus incompatibility

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Danni F. Herrera</span>
    Danni F. Herrera

Hello there,

my blood type is Rh negative and I’m worried this is taken into account when being matched with an egg donor, because my husband is Rh negative as well, and we’re concerned my body could reject the eggs because of this reason.

Thank you very much for your help,

Xx

11/23/2015 at 6:41 pm
  2. Dear Danni,

When you engage in an egg donation program, you are matched with a compatible donor, including blood type, Rh factor and physical traits. For this purpose, donors have to undergo blood tests before being accepted in the donor program. This is done to examine which her blood type is, apart from serology and hormone tests.

If a woman with negative Rh factor becomes pregnant with a positive Rh factor embryo, antibodies that may affect the embryo can be automatically created, since different Rh factors come into contact. That’s what is called “rhesus incompatibility”.

Usually, blood contact occurs during labor, therefore rhesus incompatibility is more common in second pregnancies.

The following topic might be of interest: Do I need to be the same blood type as my egg donor?

Hope this helps

12/01/2015 at 4:01 pm
Leave a reply
Other topics related to this forum