Home  >  Forums  >  Baby  >  Emotional support

First-time mom, single mother and signs of postpartum depression

1.  penny_melody

Hello, I hope you can be of assistance for us, because I’m really worried about my daughter. I’m 47 and she’s 23. She’s just had my cute grandson, and though I’m extremely happy, I’m concerned because she’s not only a first-time mom but also a single mom. The father didn’t want to talk to her anymore as soon as he found out she was pregnant, and of course doesn’t want the baby. My daughter has been sad throughout her whole pregnancy. I thought she would be happier once the baby was born, and now that we’ve got him at home, she continues to show depression signs. I honestly think this is a case of postpartum depression, what do you think?

November 15, 2015 at 12:27 pm
    #7916 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Hello penny_melody,

According to statistics, 1 in 7 women suffer from postpartum depression (PPD). In this case, the situation is even more difficult because of being a single mom and the fact that the father left. Commonly, women in this situation do not realize it is a case of postpartum depression, but it is someone close to her who observes some signs of potential postnatal depression. Although it is a time of happiness, feeling kind of blue during the first few days or weeks following childbirth does not mean it is a case of depression. In other words, some degree of emotional vulnerability is expected after childbirth, mainly because having a baby means a huge change in your lifestyle.

The following are the most common signs of postpartum depression:

– Difficulty concentrating
    – Hypersensitivity and/or irritability
    – Anxiety and worry most of the time
    – Crying (or tearfulness)
    – Anger and other negative feelings, e.g. sadness, helplessness, hopelessness, or even guilt.
    – Loss of interest in activities you usually enjoy
    – Trouble sleeping
    – Exhaustion
    – Fatigue
    – Changes in eating habits
    – Backaches, stomachaches, headaches, etc.

Besides, usually women suffering from PPD think they don’t qualify for taking care of their baby, and therefore believe they may harm him/her or at least can’t adequately care for him/her.

If your daughter presents some or all the above mentioned symptoms or thinks she may hurt the baby or herself, or she is incapable of taking care of the newborn, my advice is that you seek professional counseling immediately.

Best wishes and thank you for getting involved

December 16, 2015 at 12:52 pm
    #7917 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Single mother by choice: should I do IUI or go straight to IVF? 2 11 months ago