Home  >  Forums  >  Egg Donation  >  Surrogacy

Greece, Ukraine, Canada… Best destination for surrogacy?

1.  Watermelon2

Heyyyy, with my husband I’ve been reading this forum for a while… and today we’ve decided to get involved as we’ve been having a series of unanswered questions for quite a while.

We’re a straight couple, already have a biological child. During delivery, my wife had a uterine atony and now we want a second child but have no alternative but to turn to surrogacy.

We’re interested in various countries, but have become a little stressed out of this because doubts keep on filling our minds… On the one hand Greece is in the middle of a recession as many other European countries. There is no record of Spanish kids having been born there via surrogacy ever since the law was amended and foreigners were allowed to pursue surrogacy there. And the cost there is too expensive.

Similarly, Ukraine is surrounded by riots and I could say it’s at war, but as we can see hundreds of families choose this country in spite of that -don’t understand why but it’s ok. And Canada… well, we’ve a preference for Europe, but it’s an alternative, although we haven’t been able to find a surro there.

Please, can you help us? This is a hard decision for us to make, and besides surrogacy is a costly process. This is our big dream, but carries lots of investments and efforts. Your stories and experiences would be highly appreciated no doubt as we REALLY need some guidance.

May 5, 2016 at 3:58 pm
    #9394 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Watermelon2,

Since you are an heterosexual couple and your wife is able to prove she is unable to carry a pregnancy to term due to a uterine atony, any of the above mentioned destinations would fit your needs. However, there exist other countries where surrogacy is allowed, and perhaps their requirements might fit your needs as well: the USA, Russia, Australia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, etc.

On the other hand, choosing a destination for undergoing surrogacy is a hard decision to make and it’s normal that you are a little bit confused right now, but it’s very positive that you’re trying to itemize both the pros and cons of each country. Many aspects should be weighted up when making up your minds, such as the requirements established by each country’s legal framework, any special peculiarity when it comes to determining who the legal parents of the unborn child will be in order to avoid further problems, costs, surrogacy agencies, etc.

I hope you have a wonderful journey. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

May 6, 2016 at 9:43 am
    #9396 Reply
    • Hi Watermelon2, fyi Kiew is a calm city, no war or riots can be found there, but yes, it is Ukraine’s capital city and as any other capital city usually problems start there. Don’t know if this is an issue for you. The main advantage of Kiev is that problems take place in a park or a concrete open space in town, but not in the whole city you know? It’s clear that California is the best country, but in my case I’d choose Ukraine no doubt instead of traveling to the USA…

May 9, 2016 at 9:17 am
      #9397 Reply
  3. Hi! Based on the title of your thread I will assume that you are looking for the clinic to choose. I see that this thread hasn’t been active for awhile but I will leave here my response anyways. Because I have only finished my surrogacy program in Ukraine. And it’s only a question of time when we get to take our twins home. For now it has been a tough time, I have to admit. All of the worries we had have had a huge influence on us and when it is time to ask some questions I feel like we act a bit sure and arrogant but I hope that our manager understands us. We are still in Ukraine and as you have understood we are waiting to not only take our kids but also to perform the documents. Our treatment was really and really cheap compared to what we were told in other clinics. We have bought the vip contract and it covered basically everything. To be quite honest not everything was perfect but we were lucky enough to get the bfp from the first try. It is great but even if our surrogate mother by any chances lost her babies we wouldn’t have to pay anything and we would just wait for another surrogate to be matched. And as my dh’s sperm was frozen it would have nothing to do with us, but would’ve consumed a lot of time. I would advise going to Ukraine as we have met a lot of other foreign couples and they were all so nice, they have told us about their treatment and we even got to see their kids. I hope that we will meet again in the future.

October 6, 2016 at 9:13 am
    #10296 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Gamete donation and surrogate motherhood 2 8 months ago
What can you tell me about surrogacy with donor egg in Ukraine? 4 2 weeks ago
Asherman’s syndrome, multiple miscarriages and surrogacy 3 7 months ago
What should we look for in a surrogate? 4 2 weeks ago
Surrogate mother and intended parent relationship 3 2 weeks ago
Is the Catholic Church against surrogacy? 3 2 weeks ago
Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a US Citizen (CRBA) 2 5 months ago
IP looking for a surro in Ontario 1 5 months ago
We have finally achieved our dream! 7 2 weeks ago