Home  >  Forums  >  Egg Donation  >  Surrogacy

Having a baby via surrogacy and egg donation

1.  baby_dust

I am very grateful that you’ve created this forum, since surrogacy is kind of new to me and I find it quite complicated to understand every aspect related, because it is a mix of a legal, reproductive and emotional process all together. Having here professionals willing to answer all your questions or at least try to do so is a huge relief, so thank you very much, truly.

Well, my question actually is related to surrogacy and egg donation, I mean, is it possible to have this combination? I’m not sure, because then three women take part in the process: the recipient, the donor and the surrogate, am I right? The thing is I produce poor quality eggs, so I want a third woman to donate her eggs for me, but I want to use my partner’s sperm, is it possible? I’m not sure 🙁

As far as I know, gay couples can do this, I mean, choosing another woman to deliver her eggs, but I understand they have no choice to have a baby, and that’s what confuses me. Can you clarify this doubt for me?

Thank you very much!!

October 25, 2015 at 4:45 pm
    #7372 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Firstly, surrogacy is admitted in every fertilization type accepted for IVF, that is to say, it is possible to undergo this ART using donated or your own eggs, or with donated or your husband’s/partner’s sperm, regardless of whether you are a same-sex or heterosexual couple.

Nevertheless, it is true that in some countries where surrogacy is allowed, at least one of the intended parents is required to deliver his/her gametes. Other destinations allow both gametes to come from a donor though.

Be it as it may, it is generally avoided that it is the surrogate who delivers the eggs, that is to say, the surrogate and the egg donor shouldn’t be the same person. Thus, in case the intended mother cannot or does not wish to deliver her eggs, three people will get involved in the process as you said: the donor, the surrogate and the intended mother.

Should you have any further questions, please let me know.

October 26, 2015 at 3:55 pm
    #7373 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Do I need to be the same blood type as my egg donor? 2 11 months ago
How much does egg donation cost in the US? 2 12 months ago
Gamete donation and surrogate motherhood 2 8 months ago
I need donor eggs but my husband does not take this decision lightly 2 11 months ago