Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How likely are my frozen eggs to be stolen?

How likely are my frozen eggs to be stolen?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">PLL fan</span>
    PLL fan

Hey, guys!! This is serious stuff… Is there any Pretty Little Liars fan? Well, for those who aren’t… Emily, one of the main characters, is donating her eggs for money. The Liars live in Pennsylvania, USA, in a fictitious town known as Rosewood (I know it already exists in more than one US state, but here it doesn’t exist). Well, the thing is she undergoes surgery to remove her eggs and the following day her eggs are stolen by an anonymous person, or at least they are searching for him or her yet. Anyhow… even though I know this is a TV series and it’s fiction, this question has crossed my mind because the chance is there, I mean… why not? Someone may wish to steal some eggs instead of rapping a girl for example and then start a human trafficking business… My imagination doesn’t have limits, but how true is this? How safe are fertility clinics or egg banks? Thanks!

02/17/2016 at 8:39 am
  2. Dear PLL fan,

Thank you for sharing your concern even though chances for your eggs to be stolen are almost non-existent. As you said, it is just a TV series and, as far as I’m concerned, a quite fictitious one, so presenting egg donation as a procedure in which a woman’s eggs might be stolen is closer to fantasy rather than reality.

Anyhow, you should keep in mind that fertility clinics are highly-equipped private facilities, with all security and safety measures available today for the purpose of helping single people and couples achieve their dream of having a baby. Thus, there is no reason to ask yourself this question because I honestly don’t think anyone could steal your eggs while frozen. It is more probable that a thief bursts into a clinic in order to steal any cash they have there instead of doing so with the purpose of stealing frozen eggs, sperm or embryos.

I hope I have been able to clear your concerns,

Regards

02/19/2016 at 9:10 am
  3. Hello ladies, I’m not a huge fan of the Pretty Little Liars TV show, as it’s for teenagers mostly. But what I know is that it is doing nothing but motivating young girls or teenagers to donate their eggs just because they know they’ll get money either for paying their college studies, for medical insurance or whatever. Someone called this phenomenon “The baby business” and I agree with this in ALL terms. Plus it should be banned to get this aired on TV because that Emily Fields character is performed by Shay Mitchell, an icon for many teen girls here in the United States. They know if she does it, many girls will wish to contribute an egg to society in exchange of money. This is devastating as I see how our society is becoming more and more devious. Do you remember having a baby was a vital role in our lives? Please TV shows, stop ruining the lives of millions of citizens!!

04/11/2016 at 11:49 am
    • Hello myhopeshere3, sorry but I don’t agree with you. Citizens don’t make laws, and it’s not our fault that it is allowed-both doing it personally and also showing it on TV. If there’s someone to blame, that’s our politicians. I myself have donated my eggs prior to watching this PLL season and I feel highly useful ever since. And I think it’s better that they show things like these rather than showing a girl being on drugs or drinking alcohol, don’t you think? If this were to encourage someone to do something, then that’s better this way. I’d prefer giving someone the gift of life… If you don’t like compensations, then don’t accept the money, don’t you think?

04/12/2016 at 10:15 am
  4. Pammy222, well that’s your point of view. But donating eggs it’s not only about letting someone have a baby. Young women have to take hormone-boosting shots for about a month to stimulate egg production. I guess you know that. FYI, I appreciate letting someone have a baby and this way grow their family, but what I mean is that compensations should be limited. Every young girl that is told she’ll get 20K dollars or more will agree to donate her eggs. That’s just unfair. You’re not convincing them on terms of fertility but on terms of money. And what makes me laugh the most is that ads in college newspapers appear in the help-wanted section hahahaha And our politicians won’t take the blame because it’s all in private hands, you know?

04/13/2016 at 4:57 pm
  5. Wanna know what worries me the MOST? Some girls are even getting $65,000!!!! Can you believe that?

The problem here is not the money, but the fact that they’re paid even if pregnancy doesn’t happen!!! It’s like being given a lotto prize right after buying your lottery coupon hahahahaha You just bought it, then God knows… It’s a nonsense what we Americans do.

BTW, I love Pretty Little Liars and fyi they’ve made reference to many things of American society. Why don’t you criticize that? I think they try to represent our society just as it is, although not very successfully. It’s not a very good TV series, just entertaining guys. I think if egg donation is a fact in the US today, why hiding it? Are you in favor of censorship?

04/15/2016 at 8:05 am
    • Btw Emily from PLL donates her eggs in Episode 13, Season 6, entitled “The gloves are on”, if any of you want to watch it… She was supposed to be in California, but comes back to Rosewood to get her hormone shots. Out of curiosity… Does anyone know why? I mean why does she have to stay in Rosewood? Couldn’t see do it in California?

And besides, ladies you should keep in mind that donating your eggs to just get some cash is VERY dangerous. Fertility drugs (e.g. Lupron) can cause rashes, burning sensations, vertigo, vasodilation (and “hot flashes” as a consequence of blood vessel dilation), tingling, headaches, OHSS… and even HAIR LOSS!!! And besides you are at risk to fall pregnant because you’re hyperstimulated, so make sure you use a birth control method during those days… Do you really want to go through all this just to get some cash? I’d never put myself at risk of developing such side effects, my dear.

05/12/2016 at 9:12 pm
  6. Someone here mentioned something about advertising in colleges… That’s not the only place where one can find ads for donor coercion. Girls can find ads in social media, online class-fields and everywhere… from $5,000 to $100,000. Can u believe it? It’s totally insane. So taking this into account for me it’s not strange that a TV series for teenagers brings up this topic. What Pretty Little Liars producers wanted is to indoctrinate young girls and plant this idea in their minds…

05/15/2016 at 11:25 pm
  7. And gurls, have any of u heard of an Italian doc whose family name is Antinori? It’s insane, he’s been placed under arrest, accused of paying women in exchange for their eggs… like almost $2k per egg!!! That’s illegal under Italian laws… and should be banned internationally. He’s also been accused of harvesting his patient eggs forcibly, like literally immobilizing and anesthetizing them to harvest their eggs, obviously against their will. Can u believe that? So keeping this in mind, it’s not so strange what happened to Emily on PLL. Maybe Marlene King was inspired by this case, although Emily donates her eggs voluntarily…

05/22/2016 at 11:41 am
  8. Egg donation can lead to the exploitation of women in a number of ways. In Pretty Little Liars, A or whoever this “bad guy” is steals Emily’s eggs to just torment her at a psychological level. I don’t think s/he has done it to get pregnant with Emily’s egg (assuming A is a woman), or to get his girlfriend pregnant in case A is a man. And be it a man or a woman, I don’t think this obsessive, bizarre person is willing to make a newborn his/her accomplice LOL! What this person wants to make is just tormenting Emily and all the Liars. Now, what would this mean for a real girl? Well… this represents how great the psychological impact of donating eggs could be on young girls. Yes, you may get some cash, but I guess many of you would keep your mind busy for a long period of time, wondering what’s been the fate of your precious eggs. Are PPL producers aware of this? Well, not sure. But maybe this is a message to all young girls advertising themselves in newspapers or on the internet, hoping that a couple pays them over $10k. Want some cash? Get yourself a job! But don’t mess with other’s family or your own mental health!

05/26/2016 at 9:19 pm
    • Guyysss! I can’t wait for season 7!!!!!!!! It will premiere on June 21st, 2016! Do you have any theory for the fate of Emily’s eggs? What if she’s got a twin suffering from infertility and she wants to use her eggs? hahaha this would make sense to all this nonsense about her eggs, don’t u think so? Pls, share some theories, I’m freaking out.

05/26/2016 at 9:28 pm
  9. Hey ladies! Season 7 has just started and today airs episode 2!!!! I can’t wait, E01 was so damn interesting!!! Although still no news about what happened to Emily’s eggs… guessing they’ll forget about that as they’ve done with many other particularities.

Anyway, did you know pretty little liars is connected to fertility care in many other ways? Well, at least 1 that I know… I don’t know about you, but I’ve read the books and there Spencer Hasting has a surrogate mother (Olivia Caldwell), although Spencer believed she was her actual mother until she found out she wasn’t actually. I think this may be connected to Spencer being Uber A in some way… and maybe even with Emily’s eggs being stolen!! Maybe Spencer wanted Olivia C. to get pregnant again or something… This is just another PLL theory.

It’s incredible how PLL producers have adapted to the latest advancements in the field of reproductive medicine, have you noticed? Transgender people, surrogacy, egg donation… Well, surrogacy hasn’t been mentioned in the TV series but I’m sure they will eventually.

I’m curious… share your theories, please!!!!! 😀

06/28/2016 at 3:49 pm
Leave a reply