How many sperm do you need for ICSI?

1.  Alice Guest

Hi, my husband’s MSC results show 0.4 million sperm/ml and recommend us to go for ICSI due to severe oligospermia. My question is whether there is a minimum sperm count to perform an ICSI, and if we can include ourselves there. Likewise, the semen analysis also shows a high percentage of abnormal sperm morphology… therefore, do we have to deduct that percentage from the MSC results? Or in the MSC those sperm have already been ruled out?

February 16, 2016 at 10:31 am
    #8618 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Hello Alice,

for an ICSI, it is only required that a single viable sperm per egg retrieved by means of follicular puncture is obtained. Of course, the higher the amount of sperm is, the better the selection will be done, although ICSI is also possible when very severe oligospermia is detected.

MSC shows the amount of motile sperm per ejaculate, including sperm whose morphology is abnormal. Later, a biologist will analyze this sample under the microscope in order to analyze those presenting the best morphology and motility, which is to say, the healthiest sperm.

I hope I have been able to help,

February 26, 2016 at 12:28 pm
    #8620 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Pinhead sperms 2 6 months ago
How are donor eggs fertilized? 2 10 months ago
Semen analysis shows 80 percent abnormal sperm 2 6 months ago
Red bleeding 10 days after embryo transfer with ICSI 2 8 months ago
ICSI if using donor eggs? 2 11 months ago
Which treatment should we choose with Klinefelter Syndrome? 2 11 months ago
Preparing for our embryo transfer 2 1 year ago
How common are infertility issues for both men and women? 2 6 months ago
Severe teratozoospermia and risk of birth defects 2 1 year ago
I need donor eggs due to immature eggs, but what about in vitro maturation? 2 9 months ago