I have epilepsy, can I donate my eggs?

1.  MK Smith

Good morning,

How are you all doing? Nice to introduce myself in this forum 😉 I’d like to become an egg donor but firstly I’d like to be well informed about the whole process, especially about the requirements to become an egg donor, mainly because I have epilepsy and that’s what fills me with suspicion that I won’t qualify as a donor, am I right? I got control of seizures many years ago.

November 3, 2015 at 3:03 pm
    #7459 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear MK Smith,

I am so sorry, but if you have epilepsy, even if you have the seizures controlled, you won’t be accepted as an egg donor. In fact, one of the main requirements to qualify as a donor is being free from genetic diseases that might be inherited by offspring. Epilepsy is included within this group; thus, I’m afraid you cannot donate your eggs.

Besides, the hormone medications that every egg donor has to take during the medical process of egg donation could interfere with the medications to treat epilepsy, which could lead to a disease outbreak.

I’m really sorry,

Best wishes

November 4, 2015 at 11:24 am
    #7460 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Potential egg donor concerned about OHSS 5 6 months ago
What are the side effects of egg donation? 2 12 months ago
Can I donate my eggs even though I have tattoos and piercings? 2 10 months ago
Is it possible to donate an egg while pregnant? I wanna help others! 2 9 months ago
Pros and cons of using donor eggs: is egg donation dangerous? 4 11 months ago
Is IVF cheaper if you donate eggs? 2 11 months ago
Can I become an egg donor if I had hepatitis A? 2 11 months ago
I’m 35, is it too late to donate my eggs? 2 11 months ago
I’d like to be tested for as many things as possible before donating my eggs 3 4 months ago
What does egg donation involve? 2 12 months ago