I’m 35, is it too late to donate my eggs?

1.  Caroline2

Hello, I’d like to donate my eggs, but I’m 36 years old and I will turn 36 next March, 2016. I have sent my application to a clinic here in the US but I have been rejected because of my age but I don’t understand because I think I’m still young enough… I have regular periods every month, so I don’t understand. I have already two beautiful children, they are now 7 and 10 years old, and they are totally healthy children. Do you known where I could possibly be accepted? It’s not because I want to get money, it’s just because I wanna help some women out!

November 12, 2015 at 3:20 pm
    #7533 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Although there are no specific policies governing the age limit for egg donors in the US, some clinics even reject women who are older than 30. Let me explain you why.

The reason why women aged 35 years old are usually disqualified as egg donors is related to the ovarian reserve, because it diminished over time. Therefore, the ovarian reserve of a 25-year-old girl is not the same as that of a 35-year-old grown woman, being the former of way more quality than the latter. A woman over 35 years old does not respond as good as a younger woman to ovarian stimulation, which means the number of eggs obtained will be lower if you donate eggs at age 35 or older. Besides, the lower the ovarian reserve is, the poorer quality eggs you produce. This leads to higher chances for the embryos to develop genetic abnormalities, in which case the embryos would be qualified as non-viable embryos.

Even if you already have two healthy children, egg quality changes over time, especially from age 35 onwards.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

November 13, 2015 at 1:29 pm
    #7534 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Donating eggs through private or agency? 3 1 year ago
I’d like to be tested for as many things as possible before donating my eggs 3 4 months ago
Intercourse and alcohol use while donating your eggs 2 5 months ago
Potential egg donor concerned about OHSS 5 6 months ago
I already have 3 children, can I still be an egg donor? 2 10 months ago
Pros and cons of using donor eggs: is egg donation dangerous? 4 11 months ago
Is IVF cheaper if you donate eggs? 2 11 months ago
Is egg banking a practical option for women who want to get pregnant later? 2 1 year ago
Can I become an egg donor if I am over 18 years old? 2 1 year ago
What are the side effects of egg donation? 2 12 months ago