Increased risk of unplanned pregnancy if I donate my eggs?

1.  Nola Johnson

I’d love to donate my eggs because I think it could be a wonderful gift for some women. Plus, I can help many women who cannot realize their dream of being mothers just because life has hindered them from having a beautiful baby. The thing is I’m afraid because I’ve been told you have to take hormone drugs and during that period of time you become a too fertile woman, so it is only logical to think during that period of time there are high chances of getting pregnant easily. This is what makes me think twice if I actually want to be a donor or not, because I’ve a boyfriend, but I’m only 20 years old and I don’t want to become pregnant yet, as I’m too young now, but I’d like to in the future. Is egg donation safe? Can anybody help me? Thanks

December 2, 2015 at 12:16 pm
    #7903 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Nola,

To become an egg donor, the first step is to undergo controlled ovarian stimulation (COS), aiming at triggering egg production at its maximum. The sole purpose of COS is obtaining as many mature eggs as possible for egg retrieval. However, there is the possibility that some residual follicles remain there even after egg retrieval (follicular puncture), in which case they might continue developing and finally releasing eggs. For this reason, there would exist not only risk of accidental pregnancy, but also multiple birth.

Nonetheless, and as always, chances of getting pregnant increase in case you engage into unsafe sexual intercourse. If you use an accurate contraception throughout the whole month, there is no way you could fall pregnant accidentally.

From the next month following egg donation, your body recovers its normal hormone levels, so your chances of getting pregnant would be the same as always again. If you are not trying to conceive, using contraceptive methods is strongly advisable.

Hope this helps,

Best regards

December 15, 2015 at 5:42 pm
    #7904 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Egg donor trying to get pregnant 2 3 weeks ago
Treatment of psychosis with Lorazepam and egg donation 2 9 months ago
Alternatives to general anesthesia in egg retrieval for egg donation? 5 5 months ago
Epigenetics and egg donation 4 1 month ago
Delayed period after donating my eggs 4 6 months ago
I’m 10 days post donor retrieval and still pretty bloated 2 5 months ago
Going through menopause earlier if you donate some of your eggs 2 7 months ago
Are there long-term effects of egg donation? 2 11 months ago
Unplanned pregnancy after donating my eggs 2 9 months ago
What are the side effects of egg donation? 2 11 months ago