Home  >  Forums  >  Egg Donation  >  Surrogacy

Is the Catholic Church against surrogacy?

1.  Erik O’Callaghan

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all.

My wife and I are from Dublin, Ireland and we would like to have a child, but the problem is that I have been diagnosed with azoospermia, so I cannot have access to parenthood via my own sperm ūüôĀ We have been told about surrogacy and egg donation, but we are Christians, so we don‚Äôt find it very ethic (in fact I think it is against our own principles to do this). But since the Catholic Church is pro-life, maybe there is still a chance to see surrogacy as a positive way to have a child. Can you tell us a little bit about this fertility treatment?

We would like to know whether Catholics are in favour of surrogacy and egg donation in general terms.

It is very important for us, because it makes the difference between having a child or not for us.

Thank you very much.

October 29, 2015 at 8:39 am
    #7414 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Erik,

The truth is the Catholic Church is not a big supporter of surrogacy. Despite there are many points of view regarding this issue and why supporting or not a surrogate delivering a baby for another couple, the Catholic Church is against these type of reproductive solution.

All in all, each person has different values in life, and therefore the pros and cons of surrogacy vary depending on each person’s point of view. For this reason, the most sensible option would be that each one of us considered which are his/her own personal values.

Best wishes

October 29, 2015 at 6:00 pm
    #7415 Reply
  3. It has been a lot of time and I hope that you have managed to overcome your struggles in your life and maybe you are a parent already or will become soon. As for me, your beliefs should support fertility tx because I see nothing wrong with getting help in conceiving. With time churches had changed their views on many things and maybe it is time to rethink the whole views on fertility treatment or even on the abortion. Because we live in the world where those things are everywhere and they are not going to go so..
    But, if it is against your beliefs you can opt for adoption. why not?

October 6, 2016 at 9:52 am
    #10300 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
FET due date with donated embryos 2 11 months ago
Egg donation, surrogacy and fatherhood in the US 2 7 months ago
BMI too high for IVF success… I need more willpower to lose weight 2 1 year ago
Donor eggs vs donor embryos 2 12 months ago
Ovitrelle in egg donation, what is it used for? 2 12 months ago
What does egg donation involve? 2 12 months ago
Potential egg donor concerned about OHSS 5 6 months ago
Fragile X syndrome and egg donation 2 1 year ago
Is weight gain a side effect of egg donation? 2 11 months ago
Is egg banking a practical option for women who want to get pregnant later? 2 1 year ago