IVF side effects: heightened sense of smell and other symptoms

1. Hello,

I’m on my 2nd IVF cycle after my 1st failed. We did my retrieval Tuesday 11/17. On Friday 11/20 we transferred our only serving embryo. I haven’t noticed any similar symptoms to my failed attempt. This time around I have had abdominal swelling, I’m constantly hungry and thirsty. I’m craving sweets… mainly ice cream. I am running to the restroom constanly. I’ve had a difficult time staying asleep. I sometimes feel little twitches about the area of my upper bladder lower abdomen. Yesterday my husband made coffee and I thought he was burning popcorn, and this morning his cologne was way too powerful. I usually love his cologne. Are these more likely side effects? I’ve had no spotting yet. My first time I had a brownish smear about 2 days in.

November 24, 2015 at 6:18 pm
    #7675 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Hello Analisa,

Today is day 5 post embryo transfer, which means it is still too early to take a pregnancy test. After embryo transfer, pregnancy tests should be taken not earlier than 15 days post embryo transfer; however, if it was a blastocyst embryo transfer, you can do it on day 10 and you will get an accurate result.

As for the symptoms you’ve described above, do not panic, since they are totally common. I suggest you take a look at the following article, especially at the comments, since they may be very helpful in your case: Symptoms after embryo transfer.

Best wishes

November 25, 2015 at 12:22 pm
    #7684 Reply