Miscarriage rate using donor eggs

1.  O. S. Caulton

Hi there! I’ve done 2 IVF cycles and both lead to failure. I’ve gone through a total of 4 miscarriages, twice after IVF and one that occurred naturally. After taking on some fertility tests, the conclusion is that I’ve got low ovarian reserve and poor-quality eggs, and that’s why I have recurrent miscarriages. Now, they told me the best thing would be using donor eggs, since mine is a typical case where donor eggs are indicated. But I want to be sure that, if I use donor eggs, miscarriage rates will shrink. Or could egg donation increase the miscarriage rate conversely? If so, I don’t wanna do it.

December 4, 2015 at 11:50 am
    #7914 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Hello O. S. Caulton,

As ovarian reserve diminishes, egg quantity is less and the eggs available are likely to be of poor quality and carriers of genetic abnormalities. Even if a poor-quality egg was able to fertilize and therefore implant to the endometrium, the most probable outcome it that embryonic arrest occurs, which would lead to miscarriage.

When resorting to donor-egg IVF, donor eggs instead of own eggs are used. As you may know, donor eggs come from young, healthy girls, so they are of optimal quality. And this is the reason why miscarriage rates usually shrink dramatically. Although accurate figures depend on each fertility clinic and the patient’s medical history, the average full-term pregnancy success rate of donor-egg IVF is around 40%.

Of course, some other factors may be the cause as to why you are having recurrent miscarriages, regardless of your egg quality. For this reason, I recommend you to take a test in which the following conditions are examined: uterine alterations that hinder embryo development, thrombophilia, and immunological factors. If these factors are monitored and you use donor eggs, odds of getting pregnant in cases of low ovarian reserve are high.

Best wishes

December 16, 2015 at 12:11 pm
    #7915 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Insemination and AMH levels 2 1 year ago
Best in vitro fertilization clinics for egg donation in Spain 2 5 months ago
2nd donor cycle after two miscarriages 2 9 months ago
How to know when to use donor eggs? 2 11 months ago
Not eligible to donate eggs because I produce grainy eggs 2 4 months ago
Egg donation in case of recurrent pregnancy loss 2 5 months ago
ICSI if using donor eggs? 2 10 months ago
What percentage of embryos are aborted spontaneously with donor eggs? 2 11 months ago
Chemical pregnancy after egg donation cycle 2 12 months ago
What happens if the embryo fails to develop fully with donor eggs? 2 5 months ago