Quarantine period for sperm donors

1.  Robert

Can you help me? I’m planning to become a sperm donor here in Orlando, Florida (US) but I’ve been reading about how does it work such as advantages and disadvantages of sperm donation, average pay for sperm donation, benefits of sperm donation, compensation for sperm donation, etc. But what I find most concerning is the screening of sperm donors and their profile characteristics. I understand you must be super healthy, but I’ve read something about a “quarantine period”, as if you were ill or something like that. I don’t quite understand what is it about, so can anybody give me a detailed explanation? I’d be greatly satisfied!

October 15, 2015 at 8:37 pm
    #7323 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Robert,

As you said, the screening of potential sperm donors includes a quarantine period. In such period, the semen sample is frozen and stored for a minimum of 6 months. After that period of time, the donor is again tested for the STDs.

This process is done thoroughly in order to guarantee the donor hasn’t acquired or developed any infection either before or after these 6 months. Once the donor is proved to be free from any infectious disease, his semen sample can be released from the quarantine period and be qualified as viable to be used for fertility treatments.

However, nowadays there are sperm washing techniques that purify the sperm from viral infections such as HIV and hepatitis C. Be it as it may, clinics in the US do not accept sperm from carriers of significant viral or infectious diseases (STIs).

I hope I’ve been of help

October 16, 2015 at 1:43 pm
    #7325 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
I am new to all of this 3 1 year ago
Can I produce the semen sample at home? 2 1 year ago
Non-obstructive azoospermia and using donor sperm 2 11 months ago
Which treatment should we choose with Klinefelter Syndrome? 2 11 months ago
Donor eggs vs donor embryos 2 12 months ago
Are success rates of donor insemination cumulative as well? 2 11 months ago
Religious views on artificial insemination by donor 2 11 months ago
I’m not willing to donate my semen to just anyone 5 5 months ago