Religious views on artificial insemination by donor

1.  Lydia Matter

I know fertility issues and treatments are not very well seen for religious people, since it is related to marriage to some extent but I’m not quite sure about how and why. I mean, my husband and I have been married for 5 years now and we want to have a baby, but his seminogram showed severe azoospermia so we’ve no choice but to use donor sperm, as our doctor told us. Though we’re religious, we think having a child is one of the most precious things in life, so we don’t want to miss this chance. I honestly prefer using my own eggs and donor sperm rather than adopting a child directly, but what’s your opinion? I would’t like to contravene main Christian principles, but I don’t want to adopt as my first option either.

Please lead me from despair to hope

November 17, 2015 at 9:37 am
    #7642 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Lydia,

Thanks for getting involved. As you may know, assisted reproductive technologies turn our to be kind of controversial for the Catholic Church, especially when donor sperm or eggs are used. You are right, the controversial issue here is marriage, as in the case of surrogacy and many other fertility treatments. As for artificial insemination, this method is accepted as long as 1) only the sperm and egg of the married couple are involved and 2) fertilized eggs are not lost or destroyed on purpose. Bearing this in mind, according to the Catholic Church, is a Christian marriage cannot have a baby through natural breeding and instead the sperm from a man outside the marriage bond has to be used, then they think it is better to about that pregnancy, since the couple is inserting into the woman’s body the seed of another man. This, therefore, from their point of view leads to adultery, and it is better that this couple adopts, since they will be taking care of another child, giving him or her a better life.

However, some people think this is not morally wrong because there is no physical act of adultery and, as long as the husband agrees, there shouldn’t be no problem.

The following topics may be of interest as well:

Is the Catholic Church against surrogacy?
    Is sperm donation a sin?

This is more or less the opinion of the Catholic church on this matter, but other religions may think differently.

Hope this helps

November 20, 2015 at 10:08 am
    #7644 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
How early can you take a pregnancy test after donor insemination? 2 11 months ago
First IUI treatment with donor sperm: how many attempts to get a BFP? 2 8 months ago
Are success rates of donor insemination cumulative as well? 2 11 months ago
I am new to all of this 3 1 year ago
Will my baby have cystic fibrosis if I use donor sperm? 2 11 months ago
Single mother by choice: should I do IUI or go straight to IVF? 2 11 months ago
Quarantine period for sperm donors 2 1 year ago
Donor eggs vs donor embryos 2 1 year ago
Negative result after donor insemination 2 11 months ago
Donor sperm IVF, is ICSI necessary? 2 12 months ago