Semen analysis shows 80 percent abnormal sperm

1.  Vicky Shell

Hello Doctor, my husband has 80 percent abnormal sperm, especially of their head. Do you know if I get pregnant my baby will have any kind of chromosomal abnormality or genetic disorder? Pls, I’m very worried. Thanks for you help

April 10, 2016 at 8:39 am
    #9084 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Vicky,

there is no direct relationship between sperm malformations and your baby being born with birth defects. Sperm alterations may hinder your chances of achieving pregnancy, but fetal malformations depend on the genetics of the biological parents.

There is always the possibility that a combination between both of them causes the development of a genetic or chromosomal disorder. Unluckily, the number of possible combinations is too long, and yes, some of they may lead to a genetic disorder.

But the good news is that 80% of sperm with head abnormalities is not a too high figure. According to the WHO, from 4% of normal sperm onwards, a man is within the normal values. Besides, keep in mind that ultrasound monitoring during pregnancy are used precisely for the detection of this kind of alterations in the baby-to-be.

I hope I have been able to help,

April 12, 2016 at 5:44 pm
    #9085 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Which treatment should we choose with Klinefelter Syndrome? 2 11 months ago
How common are infertility issues for both men and women? 2 6 months ago
Non-obstructive azoospermia and using donor sperm 2 11 months ago
Pinhead sperms 2 6 months ago
Sperm morphology changes 2 1 year ago
Severe teratozoospermia and risk of birth defects 2 1 year ago
ICSI if using donor eggs? 2 11 months ago
How many sperm do you need for ICSI? 2 8 months ago