Single embryo transfer and multiple births

1.  Emerald

I need donor eggs to have a baby but I’m sure I just want one baby. I’ve heard most double pushchairs for toddlers you see on the street are because of assisted reproduction… I just want to have a single baby, having two at home would drive me mad… That’s why I’m going to do a SET, regardless of its quality. A relative of mine did an IVF cycle and did a 2-embryo transfer, grade C embryos and now she needs to buy double the diapers for double the kids! That’s why I want to make sure no chance of multiple births exist if I just do a SET, can you help me?

December 7, 2015 at 11:06 am
    #7965 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Hello Emerald,

There is an increased incidence of multiple births associated with fertility treatments due to the intake of ovulation enhancing drugs. These kind os medications are prescribed to treatments such as intrauterine insemination (IUI), so that more than a single egg is produced and also for the creation of more than a single embryo in cases of in vitro fertilization (IVF).

Even though experts try at all costs to avoid multiple births, multiple births statistics of fertility treatments are still above those of natural pregnancies.

As for your question, if you are using donor eggs and a single embryo is transferred, there is no possible way that a twin pregnancy develops, so this added risk disappears. There is a little chance that this single embryo may split spontaneously, which would translate into monozygotic or identical twins. Nevertheless, the likelihood of this happening is very small and it is indeed the same as in cases of natural pregnancy.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

December 23, 2015 at 8:33 am
    #7966 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
How many embryos to transfer with donor eggs 2 11 months ago
Successful embryo donation and adoption stories! 2 10 months ago
Small blood clot after embryo transfer 2 6 months ago
Egg donation with poor quality embryos, any chances? 2 8 months ago
Single, 2 or 3-embryo transfer with donor eggs? 2 8 months ago
How many embryos should I transfer? 2 1 year ago
Embryo transfer: symptoms before positive outcome 16 6 months ago
When should I test for pregnancy after blastocyst embryo transfer? 2 11 months ago
Transfer of leftover fresh embryos, is it possible? 2 10 months ago
What happens if the embryo fails to develop fully with donor eggs? 2 5 months ago