Small blood clot after embryo transfer

1.  Michelle Salgado

Hello Doctor, how are you? Thank you for helping us. I had a frozen blastocyst transferred last 31st of March and now I’m taking progesterone. Two days after the transfer I lost like a small blood clot (like a small golf ball). It was a brown blot clot of around 2 mm long. I know it may be difficult for you to identify what was that, but I wanted to know if maybe it was the blastocyst due to its rounded shape. From today (5 days post embryo transfer) I feel nausea and feelings of vomiting every time… Do you know if it is caused by the treatment or is it a signal that I’m pregnant?

April 5, 2016 at 5:08 pm
    #8993 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Hello Michelle,

blastocyst embryos cannot be seen with the naked eye, that is, you need to see them through microscope. It is likely that it was just a blood clot, which is a common symptom after an embryo transfer and, since it was 2 days after the transfer, it may be due to the pass of the cannula through your vagina. This is the reason why it is brown and not red, as it was what we call “old” blood.

Do not worry as it is a totally normal symptom and does not indicate either it worked or not. Nausea and vomiting are also included within the most common post embryo transfer symptoms, so don’t panic. If it’s only 5 days post embryo transfer, it is still too early to find out whether you’re pregnant or no. I’m afraid you have to wait till at least day 10 or 11 to take a pregnancy test and get an accurate result.

I hope I have been able to help,

April 6, 2016 at 8:55 am
    #8994 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
No follow-up after embryo transfer. Normal or not? 2 5 months ago
IVF with delayed transfer, will it take too long for my next FET due date? 2 9 months ago
It appears that my ICSI hasn’t been successful 2 5 months ago
Egg donation with poor quality embryos, any chances? 2 8 months ago
Donor-egg IVF and positive pregnancy test 4 3 months ago
Preparing for our embryo transfer 2 1 year ago
Brown spotting after donor-egg IVF, does it mean it worked? 2 9 months ago
False-positive result after artificial insemination 2 1 year ago
Oral vs suppository progesterone? Advice, please! 2 10 months ago
Nausea after egg donation 2 8 months ago