Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Spain for donating my eggs?

Spain for donating my eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">CandemTown</span>
    CandemTown

Hi there, I’m from the UK and next year I’ll be doing my Erasmus course in Madrid, Spain. I was thinking of donating my eggs once there, since it will help me finance my academic year abroad. I’m 23 and needing info about the requirements, regulations, et. Any idea will be highly appreciated.

04/23/2016 at 12:47 pm
  2. Dear CandemTown,

To become an egg donor, you are advised to ask a fertility clinic for information, preferably the one closest to your residence. They will provide you with all the info you need, and you’ll be screened to check whether you are eligible or not for donating your eggs. To become an egg donor in Spain, you must meet the following criteria:

– Being under 35 years of age
    – No family history of hereditary conditions
    – Being healthy
    – Not suffering from any sexually transmitted disease (STD) or any other likely to be transmitted to offspring
    – Having regular menstrual cycles
    – Good ovarian reserve

For the above mentioned requirements to be checked, you’ll be medically and psychologically screened; this way, they’ll check your are mentally and physically healthy to donate your eggs. If you pass this screening, you’ll start taking ovulation induction medications to trigger egg production and finally retrieving those eggs directly from your ovary.

The following article may be of interest: Egg donation in Spain.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

04/26/2016 at 1:41 pm
    • Hello everyone! Luckily I came across this forum because I’m in the same situation as CandemTown (BTW, hello! did you finally donate in Spain? how was it?) Will be living in Spain for 6 months next year, I’m from the Netherlands and yesterday in FB I read something about egg donation… and after thinking about it the whole night I’ve decided I want to become an egg donor in Spain… Can you help me? What should I do next?

06/14/2016 at 9:14 am
    • Hello Jackie,

One of the 1st steps involved in egg donation is choosing the fertility clinic you wish to donate your eggs to. You should keep in mind that the donation process involves a pre-screening for potential egg donors, as well as regular analyses, so you’ll have to visit the clinic multiple times throughout the process. For this reason, my advice is that you choose a clinic that is close to your residence, this way egg donation will be a more comfortable process.

Also, you’re to get information at different fertility clinics before making up your mind, and think about each one’s pros and cons. Here you can find a list with the best fertility clinics from Spain: Best clinics for egg donation in Spain.

Once you’ve chosen the clinic, they will make sure you meet all the requirements established by the Spanish Law on Assisted Reproduction. If you meet them, you will me medically and psychologically screened, and if you pass all the tests – if no pathology or abnormality is detected – and the use of your eggs does not involve any risk either for you or the recipient, the next step will be ovulation induction.

Your stimulation protocol will be established, and regular ultrasound monitoring will be necessary to check whether egg retrieval is going as expected, and therefore your eggs are prepared to be harvested. At this stage, follicular puncture will be the next step. It is a simple surgical intervention for egg retrieval that is performed under anesthesia.

Be it as it may, the first and most important step is choosing the right medical center for you, as well as being properly screened. The medical staff at the clinic will give you further instructions.

I hope this helps,

All the best

06/14/2016 at 6:15 pm
Leave a reply