Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Sperm donation with PCOS and SRY mutation

Sperm donation with PCOS and SRY mutation

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">lauren friedman</span>
    lauren friedman

Hi, thanks for letting us share our stories! First I want to say I’m not looking to feel better with this post, because I’m still grieving and will continue to do so for a while… I’ll share my story now.

I’m 31 and this is my 6th year struggling with infertility, and I guess there’s still a lot more to show up, judging by our situation. Well, as all of you may know, one of the worst parts of being infertile is not having answers as to why you are unable to conceive!! I’ve PCOS, but it’s controllable with s series of medications. I’ve checked my fertility and the results showed that I produce healthy, beautiful eggs 🙂 So the problem is not mine… We’ve already done 3 IUIs and 6 at-home cycles, and still not working. We still aren’t pregnant, unluckily.

We finally have an answer, and it’s not encouraging at all, but it’s something. As I said, I’m still grieving and don’t feel any better about it. My husband’s semen analyses showed very low sperm count. Six months ago he went to an endocrinologist and was prescribed with 50mg Clomid daily. For those who don’t know, Clomid works the same in men as it works in women, with the difference that in the former case it has an effect on sperm instead of eggs. To sum up, Clomid helps you raise FSH, which means that larger amounts of sperm are expected to be produced. But my husband’s reproductive system isn’t responding to this!!! He’s not producing more sperm. I mean, Clomid is working, but not his testes.

We went to see the urologist and then we got the answer we were looking for: my husband has what is called SRY mutation. I’ve to add this is the 4th urologist he visits, the other 3 said it was due to age factor…). So my husband sperm’s state is as follows: high levels of FSH, sperm being malformed and decreasing sperm count (4.3 million). Anything else?

We are going to so an IVF with ICSI, but I don’t think it’s going to work anyway. We want to have a biological child, that’s why we haven’t still turned to sperm donation. It’s not fair that this is happening to us 🙁 I know it is an option, but I want to have a baby with my husband, do you think I’ll have any chance if I continue to struggle? 🙁

02/02/2016 at 9:48 am
  2. Dear lauren,

Firstly, I’m very sorry to hear that. Secondly, giving up on your genetic material can become a very hard experience for some couples. You are now in a difficult stage of this process, that is, trying to adapt to this situation. Many couples go through this phase too, but the good news is that you’ll reach an stage in which the feeling of guilt disappears in both of you.

It is clear that genetics is a major issue when having a child, but there are also another parts of parenthood in which genetics becomes less important and should be weighted up when considering sperm donation. Keep in mind that, despite donor sperm is used, you are the ones who are going to bring the child up, give him/her all your love, educate him/her, etc. All in all, the child is going to learn from you, and that is one of the most wonderful experiences in life.

Keep fighting and try to see it from several points of view 🙂 Seek psychological counseling if necessary, it’ll be very helpful for sure.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

02/10/2016 at 1:52 pm
You might also like