Unplanned pregnancy after donating my eggs

1. I donated my eggs November 24, 2015 and had a menstrual cycle Dec 2. Now I am pregnant and wondering the risks of pregnancy immediately after egg donation/egg retrieval. I’ve read risk of multiple pregnancy or worries of so close after the retrieval. Has anyone else experienced this?

January 4, 2016 at 12:49 am
    #8005 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear lexie,

Throughout the egg donation process, there is a “critical interval” in which the risk of falling pregnant accidentally increases. It is during the period in which you are taking drugs to stimulate the production of eggs.

It is known as Controlled Ovarian Stimulation (COS), and during this period of time, chances of getting pregnant naturally increase due to this increased number of eggs. Experts at your fertility clinic should have told you to avoid intercourse during this time, or at least to use a barrier method of birth control, e.g. condoms, to prevent an unplanned pregnancy.

The aim of COS is to obtain as many mature eggs as possible for egg retrieval, but there is a small chance that residual follicles remain there even after the egg harvest done through follicular puncture, in which case they may continue growing and therefore releasing mature eggs. This means not only chances of getting an unplanned pregnancy increase, but also those for multiple births.

Of course, chances of getting pregnant increase if you have unsafe sex throughout this period of time; otherwise, there is no possible way you can fall pregnant if you use a barrier method of birth control.

You can read more in the following topic: Increased risk of unplanned pregnancy if I donate my eggs?

I hope this will clarify your concerns,

Best wishes

January 4, 2016 at 9:59 am
    #8008 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Unexplained infertility and egg donation in Ukraine 10 4 days ago
My breasts sore, I’m cramping and my period is late, pregnancy signs? 2 1 year ago
FET due date with donated embryos 2 11 months ago
Egg donation in case of recurrent pregnancy loss 2 5 months ago
What are the chances of getting pregnant while on Implanon? 2 1 year ago
Donating eggs through private or agency? 3 1 year ago
Missed period but negative blood pregnancy test 4 1 year ago
Marijuana, pregnancy and male infertility 4 1 year ago
When do you get paid for egg donation? 2 1 year ago
What are the side effects of egg donation? 2 11 months ago