Home  >  Forums  >  Egg Donation  >  Surrogacy

What can you tell me about surrogacy with donor egg in Ukraine?

1.  Keeley Ann

Hello there,

I’d like to know if, bearing in mind that I’m about to start a surrogacy treatment using donor eggs but my husband’s sperm, I can select the donor myself. I ask this question because to be honest I’d like to meet the donor in person, or at least have a smal chat with her, just to make sure the person who is about to deliver half the material load of my baby-to-be is the correct one. What if I find some personality traits of her are just contrary to my principles? I think I have the right to do this… I’m uncomfortable if it’s the clinic that chooses her, honestly.

Do I have any chance?

November 25, 2015 at 12:08 pm
    #7797 Reply
  2. Sandra F. Sandra F.
    inviTRA's Moderator

Dear Keeley Ann,

Ukrainian law on surrogacy and assisted reproduction techniques establishes that, at least, the intended father delivers half the genetic material, but the other half, i.e. the egg, can be delivered by an egg donor.

Nevertheless, when an egg donor is used, she must remain anonymous, which means that selecting the person who will be your donor is in the hands of the fertility clinic. I’m afraid Ukrainian law only allows the intended parents to get to know their potential donor provided that she’s a close relative.

Hope this answers your query,

Best wishes

December 3, 2015 at 12:22 pm
    #7798 Reply
  3. Dear Keeley Ann,
    I’m from Ukraine. To undergo surrogacy here, the father MUST deliver his semen sample. Otherwise you won’t be allowed to undergo surrogacy.
    Although Ukrainian law only says that at least one of the prospective parents has to deliver his/her genetic load, my advice is that it is always the father as you may have further problems in the future when you come back to your home country and register the baby. For example, in Spain they only do paternity tests so you necessarily need the genetic material of the father.
    Maybe you can get information on whether more advanced techniques such PGS could help you with this.
    I don’t know what your problem is, but if this is not the solution you’d better travel to the USA since everything is easier there. I think it is the same in Canada.

April 1, 2016 at 12:17 pm
    #8982 Reply
  4. It’s strange that you didn’t get to choose the donor. We were given the donor database where we watched the videos of donors answering questions and all of that. But maybe it differs from clinic to clinic. It’s true that we didn’t have the chance to meet her but it was okay because we had to know what she looks like and how she talks from the database.

October 6, 2016 at 10:11 am
    #10304 Reply
Other topics related to this forumMessagesUpdated
Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a US Citizen (CRBA) 2 5 months ago
Greece, Ukraine, Canada… Best destination for surrogacy? 4 3 weeks ago
We have finally achieved our dream! 7 3 weeks ago