Gonal-f contains recombinant FSH (gonadotropin).
This medicine is prescribed in assisted reproduction treatments with the aim of achieving pregnancy.
Gonal-f must not be used in case of suffering:
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance follitropin alfa, FSH or to any of the excipients.
- Tumours of the hypothalamus or pituitary gland.
- Ovarian, uterine or mammary carcinoma.
- Ovarian enlargement or ovarian cyst not due to polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Gynaecological haemorrhages of unknown aetiology.
There is no indication for use of Gonal-f during pregnancy, however, it is not indicated during breastfeeding.
It must not be administered when an effective response cannot be obtained, such as:
- Primary testicular insufficiency.
- Primary ovarian failure.
- Malformations of sexual organs incompatible with pregnancy.
- Fibroid tumours of the uterus incompatible with pregnancy.
Source: European Medicines Agency