Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
7 failed IVF cycles… When to give up on IVF treatment

7 failed IVF cycles… When to give up on IVF treatment

1. Timcsi77
    Timcsi77

Hi,

We had 6 unsuccessful ivf with icsi due to my husband’s low quality sperm.
    Now we tried 7th times and I got back 2 embryos 7&8 cells on day 3.
    The last ivf we did was a few years ago and after day 3 the embryos arrested and not developed any further.
    My question is:
    If once stopped after day 3, does it mean it will stop all the time?
    I am 40 by the way.

Thanks v much

02/17/2018 at 12:57 pm
  2. Dear timcsi77,

I’m so sorry to hear that. Well, to find the best treatment option for you, keeping of course your age in mind, the first thing that should be done is looking for the cause behind recurrent IVF failure.

It may be due to various causes, including: the IVF treatment protocol, the clinic, the sperm quality, the eggs, or your uterus. For instance, if it is due to either low sperm or egg quality, or even both, you may consider using donor sperm and/or eggs. If the cause is related to your uterus, surrogacy may be a good option for you to have a child.

Talk with your doctor about it so that s/he can schedule the proper checkups for you in order to find the cause behind IVF failure.

Related content: Repeated Implantation Failure – Reasons Why Embryos Don’t Implant.

I hope this helps,

Best

02/19/2018 at 9:18 am
  3. You wrote about undergoing 6 IVF cycles and not getting any success.It could be because of the age probably.It is not necessary that the next time would be a failure too but I will suggest you consider other options now. This must have been a rollercoaster for you and your husband. It was very brave of you to try again and again. I would recommend that you consult a doctor and go for surrogacy. It has higher success rates. It can make your family complete. All the pain you went through will fade away once you will hold your baby

03/23/2018 at 5:31 pm
  4. sorry to hear this. but I heard this for the first time. but sometimes it may occur. don’t worry dear. change your clinic first. or if it is one of the best clinics. then you must change your doctor. don’t need to stress yourself. these forums are available to discuss your matters with others. there might be some reasons for the failure. it could be sperm count issue. or your doctor. or your clinic. or some other circumstances. I highly recommend you to go for a proper checkup. and don’t depend on one source only. best of luck.

03/23/2018 at 7:25 pm
  5. I’m so sorry..
    7 failed cycles is a huge number.. Reasons may be so different. Sperm, eggs, clinic’s treatment plans..What were the reasons your dr told you? I guess it would be nice to get 2nd opinion on the point. Have you thought of contacting another clinic/ other drs??
    Here’s some of my background. I’m 39 yrs old with 2 cycles ivf with my ex with low sperm quality behind. My right ovary never responded to the treatment. With my new dh came to the conclusion we’d need more opinions on the point, so did a huge work on self educating on ivf with donor egg which led us overseas. My amh is extremelly low so our new dr and we actually weren’t counting on those 3% chance with oe, so went straight to egg donation.
    I’m not the expert and cannot say whether this outcome is going to happen to you again. ivf world is so tricky!! I just know you should get more answers/additional checkups/whatever what will give you the right course. I’m also considering surrogacy as the last option to count on. Wishing you the best x

05/29/2018 at 1:21 pm
  6. Sounds it’s really high time to turn to egg donation or surrogacy in case you aren’t there. I’m sorry you’re struggling this hard. God love you poor thing you’ve gone through so many failures. It must be hard and frustrating not being able to turn your thoughts off. I was in this exact spot not too long ago.
    Unfortunately I was 34 when our 3rd IUI failed. My husband and I agreed that we would move on after that. However, since insurance didn’t cover any part of IVF and money doesn’t grow on trees, to say we were beyond stressed and didn’t know how to take on IVF at the time. I hate thinking back on those months of not knowing what we were going to do! My husband and I sat down and weighed out all the pros and cons (when we were both relaxed and could really talk about it.) We came to the conclusion no matter what, IVF would be worth it. Though faced failures again. Multiple – with own and donor eggs. Finally got luck with our last DE IVF shot.I don’t believe anyone deserves this.
    Be strong, honey!!

12/19/2018 at 12:26 pm
  7. @MillieG, I’m so much happy for your luck!! I can hardly believe such things happen. seems you’ve exhausted all the treatment plans and finally got success with your last cycle. I sympathize a lot the former writer. 7 failed IVFs IS too many!! One’s chances of having a healthy baby using IVF depend on many factors. such as age and the cause of infertility. IVF is be time-consuming in majority of cases. It’s may be very expensive and invasive. Moreover, if more than one embryo is implanted in uterus, IVF can result in multiple pregnancy which might be another physical burden. Doctor is help understand how IVF works. its potential risks and whether this method of treating infertility is right for the paticular case. I personally don’t believe stress might be the hugest problem of all. Though we all read a lot on this point on the internet. The reasons are much more complicated unfortunately. And the best solution is to find a reputable fertility center which will help one safely out.

01/16/2019 at 9:45 am
Leave a reply