Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Alternatives to general anesthesia in egg retrieval for egg donation?

Alternatives to general anesthesia in egg retrieval for egg donation?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">TinyDonor</span>
    TinyDonor

Hello, I’d like to donate my eggs, because I’m young and everything, but the fact that general anesthesia is used backs me off. Does it take too long for them to retrieve your eggs during follicular puncture? I’ve never been sedated in this way and have heard thousand of stories that make it so scary… I’m a strong person, but I’ve got my limits and would like to get a detailed explanation about every risk I’m embracing by starting a process like this one. Help, please. Thanks!

01/21/2016 at 1:24 pm
  2. Dear TinyDonor,

The process of egg retrieval via follicular puncture is not performed under general anesthesia but just under sedation. It stands for a mild sedation so that you do not notice anything related to the follicular puncture process. There is no reason to worry, since you won’t be conscious during surgery.

As for how long does this process take, it should be clear that its duration may vary depending on how many follicles you have produced. However, for you to have an idea, it takes usually around 15-30 minutes. Although it is performed in the operating room, hospital admission is not necessary; in other words, you can come back home that day.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

01/25/2016 at 1:47 pm
    • Hi, egg retrieval is set for 3 weeks from now, and I’m so nervous!! I have never ever been under anesthesia so… it’s giving me some anxiety, but mostly I am scared about OHSS and all that stuff… and also I’ve heard about internal bleeding from the procedure. Wish me the best of luck!

05/03/2016 at 8:30 am
    • Don’t worry my dear, it’ll be easy peasy and it’s not full anesthesia. Bleeding is highly unlikely and OHSS… well, it’s true that it’s just really uncomfortable… Good Luck, my dearest!

05/04/2016 at 9:08 am
    • Thank you!

05/05/2016 at 8:02 am
    • It’s just a 15-minute procedure… you’ll do great! 🙂 My advice is you make sure during the stimulation injections you drink gatorade or propel water, you need the fluid and electrolytes… and also increase your protein levels! Best wishes and hope these tips are of help 😉

07/10/2017 at 1:21 pm
Leave a reply