Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Bioidentical hormone therapy and POF

Bioidentical hormone therapy and POF

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Virginia335</span>
    Virginia335

Hello ladies, how are you? I hope you’re doing well. My case is a little bit strange… I’ve been diagnosed with premature ovarian failure and doc says I’ve no alternative but to use donor eggs if I wish to have a baby. I’m devastated, but in the past few says I’ve been doing some research and have come across an interesting alternative. It’s known as bioidentical hormone therapy, and it is believed to help a woman with POF get the natural hormones she needs to be healthy and balanced. Do you think this is true? Or this is just misinformation? Please, help.

05/11/2016 at 9:18 am
  2. Dear Virginia335,

Bioidentical hormones are hormones made from natural plants that try to copy the natural hormones a woman’s body produces. Some examples of these types of hormones are: estradiol-17 beta, estrone, progesterone, and testosterone.

However, the term “bioidentical” may be a little bit confusing, since it is a word that has been vaguely defined to date, and does not make reference to a particular hormone or therapy, and it does not mean these hormones are safer than those found naturally within the human body.

Bioidentical hormones are commercialized and FDA approved in order to control their safety, effectiveness, side effects, and components. There is no medical evidence suggesting that these hormones are work more accurately than commercial bioidentical hormones.

My advice is that you ask your doctor on this matter. In any case, there is no scientific prove that your option of replacing egg donation by a bioidentical hormone therapy in cases of POF will work.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

05/13/2016 at 12:50 pm
Leave a reply