Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Boyfriend in jail, will he be released for my embryo transfer?

Boyfriend in jail, will he be released for my embryo transfer?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">lizzie jay</span>
    lizzie jay

Hello everyone! Please, I need your help as my boyfriend and I have a very big issue in front of us. I’m 26 years old and he’s 32… He was diagnosed with olizoospermia 1 year ago after trying to conceive for 1.5 years. We were in the middle of our FIV/ICSI procedure when he got arrested. I want to know if his presence is necessary for finishing my cycle or not. Some clinics say it’s not, but others say he must be with me that day so I’m a mess right now. I’m all alone and terribly anxious, can you help me out?

04/11/2016 at 12:25 pm
  2. Hello lizzie,

The answer to your question depends on whether fertilization in the laboratory has already taken place and therefore the embryo has been created or if his semen sample hasn’t been collected yet and there’s no embryo. Let me explain this hereunder:

1. If fertilization hasn’t been carried out yet: Unless he had already his sperm frozen, then he must be present on the day of fertilization, as his semen sample must be collected for carrying out the IVF procedure. Maybe some countries allow semen samples to be collected in jail, but this depends on the country.
    2. If the embryo already exists: In this case, there’s no need that your boyfriend is released from jail as his semen sample has already been used for fertilization. As it is the woman who receives the embryo, the only one person necessary that day is yourself.

Anyhow, this may vary from country to country, and may depend on each clinic. My advice is that you get it cleared ASAP.

Best regards

04/14/2016 at 12:08 pm
Leave a reply