Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Can I become a father through sperm donation after a vasectomy?

Can I become a father through sperm donation after a vasectomy?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Caleb-38</span>
    Caleb-38

Hello! I did a vasectomy 5 years ago because my wife and I had already two babies and we didn’t want to have more children… My we’ve been through a lot lately and we’ve divorced recently. I met another woman a year ago and now we’d like to strengthen our relationship by having a little baby of ours 🙂 The thing is I think unfortunately we’ll need to use donor sperm, because I have no sperm now, have I? I’m not sure, and we’d like to start this journey being totally sure about everything.

Thank you very much

10/16/2015 at 9:46 am
  2. Dear Caleb-38,

There are many different ways through which you could achieve pregnancy after having had a vasectomy, being sperm donation one of them. However, there is also vasectomy reversal, but I’m afraid it is quite expensive and not always successful. The following are some alternatives to vasectomy reversal: Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (PESA), Testicular Sperm Extraction (TESE) and Microepididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA).

As an alternative to undergoing the afore mentioned procedures, you can resort to sperm donation. The main advantage of this technique is that chances for success are greater, since donor sperm are of optimal quality. Besides, the cost of donor sperm is considerably less, especially if you perform a donor insemination (DI). Apart from that, in the US, known donation is allowed, so you could even use a family member as a sperm donor.

Good luck

10/16/2015 at 2:02 pm
Leave a reply
Other topics related to this forum