Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Can I still ovulate and get pregnant with my tubes tied?

Can I still ovulate and get pregnant with my tubes tied?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Celine</span>
    Celine

I have a question. Nine months ago I had my tubes tied but I still have a lot of mucus coming out before my period and I want to know if I’m still ovulating, if I’m still fertile and if I can get pregnant, because I was very very fertile before I had my tubes tied. Well, in short, can I ovulate with my tubes tied? What are my chances of getting pregnant? What can I do to avoid that risk?

04/28/2019 at 3:06 pm
  2. It is perfectly normal for you to still have a lot of mucus, since menstrual cycles are not altered by tubal ligation. What the tubal ligation does is prevent the sperm and the egg from meeting to avoid fertilization and it also prevents the fertilized egg from reaching the uterus in case the sperm have managed to reach it.

Tubal ligation does not prevent ovulation, you continue to ovulate normally, as there is no alteration in the ovary or in the hormonal system that regulates the menstrual cycle. What cannot happen is a natural pregnancy, since there can be no fertilization, and in case it occurs there can be no implantation since the embryo cannot reach the uterus.

Therefore, you can rest assured that you cannot get pregnant. Tubal ligation is a permanent method of contraception.

Have a look at this post: Tubal ligation.

Hope this answer helps you,

Best

05/03/2019 at 9:07 am
  3. Hi, a few years ago I had my tubes tied, but since I’m still having my period, can I get pregnant? My current partner and I want to have a child, but of course I suppose that naturally it’s not going to be possible… right? Someone in the same situation? What are my options? I’m waiting for some answers.

07/31/2019 at 7:00 pm
    • Hi Mirelle,

With a tubal ligation, natural pregnancy is not possible, as it prevents the sperm and the egg from meeting to prevent fertilization and also prevents the fertilized egg from reaching the uterus.

The options for achieving a pregnancy are either reversal of the tubal ligation or recourse to assisted reproduction treatment, i.e. in vitro fertilization. Tubal ligation does not affect the ovaries or the uterus, so it is possible to administer medication for ovarian stimulation in order to extract the eggs.

If you opt for IVF, I recommend that you visit the Fertility Report, a tool with which you will receive free personalized advice from the clinics in your area of interest that meet our quality criteria. You will also obtain information on prices, services included, explanatory videos, etc.

Hope this helps you,

wish you all the best!

08/06/2019 at 3:15 pm
Leave a reply