Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Can IVF become a cause of cervical cancer?

Can IVF become a cause of cervical cancer?

1. Jenniekorn
    Jenniekorn

The question is whether IVF treatment develops ovarian cancer in women, it naturally occurs in mind that IVF being an exterior method from a body, might be one of the factors. But as seen from various cases, this specific cancer is mostly related to infertility disorders. IVF itself cannot be the only link to cancer development, the vulnerability in the women due to over ovulation can trigger the conditions. Above all, over ovulation needs more and more cells to perform the renovation of ovaries which can directly give rise to inaccuracies. Another condition which is quite popular among the young women is endometriosis in which uterus cells travel to body parts causing a painful sensation in the body. Similarly, the enlarged exposure to IVF treatment series did not show any particular type of risk for the ailment, but what actually showed risk for ovarian cancer was the rate of live births subsequently after the treatment.

01/23/2018 at 10:18 am
  2. Dear jenniekorn,

Indeed, there’s a landmark study that was published in 2015 which suggests that there may be a link between ovarian cancer and IVF. However, the risks if very small. According to the conclusions of the study, the risk of developing ovarian cancer rises by more than one third for women under IVF treatment.

Women should not be alarmed by the conclusions of this study, as what it actually links is infertility with ovarian cancer, and not the treatment itself. On the other hand, the chances for a woman undergoing IVF to develop ovarian cancer are so low that what actually this study reveals is how safe IVF is.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

01/23/2018 at 3:22 pm
  3. Hi Jennie and Sandra again, You are expert at this. I highly appreciate that. How you take out time to respond to these queries. What do you think is safer? IVF or Surrogacy? And your reference to the original research is commendable. I also pursue these studies for authentic answers. Good work. Keep educating us, Sandra! Best wishes.

01/29/2018 at 7:05 pm
  4. It is true that a few studies seemed to find a connection between fertility drugs use and an increased risk of breast or uterine cancer. This is specifically with Clomid. Though all medications come with risks. I’ve read somewhere if a woman never experiences pregnancy, her risk of cancer increases. Also, obesity is not only a risk factor for infertility, but it is also a risk factor for cancer. It may not have been the fertility drugs at all. Instead, the increased incidence may be attributed to the reason behind infertility itself or any number of other factors not taken into account.
    The strongest evidence that Clomid and other ovarian stimulating drugs do not increase the risk of ovarian cancer comes from a Cochrane Review, published in 2013. You may try googling it for more info.

06/24/2018 at 12:37 pm
Leave a reply