Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How do you check egg quality?

How do you check egg quality?

1. Meredith
    Meredith

Hey there! I’m new to this dream. I would like to gain some info around the topic of surrogacy. How is it done? Of course, it involves egg donation and even sperm donation. I would like to know more concerning the methodologies involved. How can you differentiate between a healthy and poor egg. (They all look the same.) What science is behind? Thank you…

01/28/2018 at 4:28 pm
  2. Dear meredith,

A woman’s egg quality can be checked with various tests. The most typical is the one that is done on day 3 of the menstrual cycle to measure the levels of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). A woman who has elevated levels of FSH on day 3 is considered to have a diminished ovarian reserve.

A newer test is the one that measures AMH (anti-Müllerian hormone), which is secreted by the follicles. A woman’s levels of AMH in blood are a good indicator of her ovarian reserve. To put it simply, it can give you an idea of both the remaining quantity of eggs and the fertile years that you may have.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

01/29/2018 at 8:46 am
  3. Hi Sandra. Thanks indeed very much for replying. That has been really helpful… Could you also tell where to go for such tests? Are you, yourself a medical practitioner? Your explanation is so comprehensive. I grasped it instantly. One last query, is there any medical technology that helps you run these tests at home? Or do you have to go to clinics? Thanks again, Sandra. Best wishes back at ya!

01/29/2018 at 4:33 pm
    • Dear meredith,

You’re welcome. No, I’m not a medical practitioner. As you may see, I’m a fertility counselor/moderator. As for your second question, my advice is that you share it with your doctor.

Best wishes!

01/30/2018 at 9:39 am
  4. Hi there. For this purpose we came to a fertility doctor. I was a medical ”ripe age” when we first tried IVF with my ex. My right ovary never responded to treatments. So we went on on investigating why. Later my AMH test result came in 3% only. It was a huge dissapointment for both as I did thought my eggs are better in quality and quantity. Anyway, if you’re concerned it’s better to turn to a reputable place for help. A dr will explain you the best and will advise on needed tests and analysis. PS. We finally passed donor egg IVF in Kiev. They placed back 2 beautiful 5 day blasts, one vanished, so we ended up with 1 LO.
    Hoping for your best.

07/24/2020 at 12:03 pm
Leave a reply