Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Could the sperm bank accidentally mix up our donor choice?

Could the sperm bank accidentally mix up our donor choice?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">MooMoo</span>
    MooMoo

Hello!

My husband has secretory azoospermia, so we are using donor sperm. We’ve already made the arrangements and we’ve chosen semi-known sperm donation, but we’re afraid the sperm bank mistakenly inseminates me with the sperm of a white donor, since we are a black couple and as you may know most sperm banks have extended databases with white sperm donors. What are the chances of getting the wrong sperm donor due to a mix-up of the sperm bank?

Thanks

01/10/2016 at 6:05 am
  2. Dear MooMoo,

Regardless of whether you’ve chosen anonymous, semi-known, or known sperm donation, donors are always selected according to the characteristics of the recipient couple. Such process stands for a highly meticulous one and chances for accidentally mixing-up your donor choice are almost non-existent.

Likewise, sperm storage in liquid nitrogen and the semen sample selection process are both highly rigorous as well; therefore the likelihood of mistakenly sending the sample of a white donor to a black couple is virtually zero, and vice versa.

I hope I have clarified your doubts,

Regards

01/18/2016 at 12:02 pm
    • There is a case of a woman from Ohio, US who sued a sperm bank because they mixed-up donors and ended up giving her the sperm from an African-American man instead of a semen sample from a white man. That’s is just the opposite situation to yours. Anyhow, I tell you this to let you know that yes, chances for your sperm bank mixing-up your donor choice DO exist, so pay attention which bank you choose. It’s not about the race, but about the physical resemblance to the parents, who already have to go through a lot because they have to give up on the genetics of the father when using donor sperm.

01/20/2016 at 12:52 pm
Leave a reply
Other topics related to this forum