Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Cramps and abdominal pain 12 days after embryo transfer

Cramps and abdominal pain 12 days after embryo transfer

1. Alexia
    Alexia

Hi,

I am currently doing a fresh ivf cycle. Egg collection was on 15 Jan 2018 … Embryo transfer was done 2 days later on 17 Jan. 3 embryos.

Through the 1st week, i had bloating, headaches, stuffy nose and metallic taste in my mouth. On the 10th day post ET, i had a low grade fever n sorethroat with running/blocked nose. But it got better the next day after i took panadol n had a good rest. And freq urination becoz i drank lots of water.

Today is the 12th day after Embryo transfer, i couldnt wait so i bought a Home Pregnancy Kit (which claim it can detect HcG at low levels. Result was negative. Then i start having cramps which are very much like my menses cramps with on n off headaches. Beta is in 3 days (1 Feb 2018).

I am disappointed with HPT result and also menses like symptoms. But no bleeding or spotting so far.

Am i overworrying? Will my HcG level go up? Why did the HPT give a negative reading? Are the cramps normal? What are my chances?

Sorry. I’m overworrying now. I feel that like my other ivfs … this one isnt gonna be good. Sigh.

Thanks for listening

01/29/2018 at 6:30 pm
  2. Dear Alexia,

Although day 12 is still early to take a pregnancy test, the truth is that it’s only a few days before the actual due date. In other words, at this point the result may be real. However, my advice is that you take the test on the 1st of February to clear your doubts.

The symptoms you’re describing could be either PMS symptoms, first pregnancy symptoms, or due to the medications you’ve taken for the transfer cycle. I’m afraid to tell you that the only way to know the cause is by taking a test. Blood pregnancy tests are far more accurate than home pregnancy tests, by the way.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

01/30/2018 at 9:09 am
    • Thank you very much for your reply, Sandra.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for my blood test in 36 hours. I am trying to prepare myself for the worst …. and yet a small part of me says … it aint over till its over. Wish me luck!

I am dying from anxiety n overworrying here … though i may seem calm infront of friends. Sigh.

01/30/2018 at 3:22 pm
    • Dear Sandra,

I am on 6th day post frozen embryo transfer. This is my second attempt to get pregnant. I have been experiencing light cramps on and off for just few minutes on day 3 post embryo transfer and day 4 along with heartburn and light lower back/pelvic pain. On day 5 I got very gassy and noticed I was tired by mid day. On day 6 more bloating and more noticeable lower back pain that shoots in my thighs. In addition I am very emotional and couple of times felt food flowing back to my throat after a meal. Sore breasts too, however all that said I blame my symptoms on all the fertility medications I am currently on. Progesterone, endomentrin and estrace. Today on day 6 I took home pregnancy test, three to be exact. One in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. All three showed very faint second line. Like very faint. I understand that it is too early but I am worried sick about all these symptoms. On my first failed attempt (fresh day 5 embryo transfer)I tested on day 7 and got false positive due to trigger shot. I tested three days after and it was all negative beta was negative too. On my first round I did not have cramping nor back pain, just bloating and sore breasts. Comparing two transfers I am worried about my cramps and back pain. What are the chances I can be pregnant and my test is accurate this time around? Beta in four days.

06/20/2022 at 4:28 am
    • Dear Miraclebaby

I can certainly understand your worries and nervousness but I am afraid the simple answer is that you need to be patients in the 2 week wait, and try and occupy youself with your regular routine, or perhaps visit friends more, go to the cinema, cook a new recipe. Anything to try and occupy your time so that you stop going over your symptoms.

The symptoms you describe could be indeed due to a pregnancy, or at this stage could be due to the medications you have taken, as you rightly say. It is impossible to know at this stage.

I wish you all the best with the beta wait and hope you got that big fat positive you are looking for.

09/16/2022 at 1:43 pm
  3. I wonder anyone had similar experience and went on to have a BFP?

01/30/2018 at 11:03 pm
    • Hi Alexia,

you posted this last year and am currently experiencing the same signs. what was your final result?

11/29/2019 at 10:27 pm
Leave a reply