Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Day 10 post embryo transfer and brown spotting

Day 10 post embryo transfer and brown spotting

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Christie</span>
    Christie

Hello, my two-embryo transfer was 10 days ago and today I’m bleeding… it is more like a brown/pinkish spotting. Do you think this is my period coming or what is this? Pregnancy test is due on Thursday but I’m starting to lose hope…

03/29/2016 at 10:09 am
  2. Dear Christie,

It could be implantation bleeding as long as it is not red heavy bleeding but just a brown bleeding or light pinkish bleeding, as you’ve described. In this case, it means that pregnancy has occurred, which would turn that spotting into a very positive sign.

Keep in mind that embryo implantation usually takes place around days 7 or 8 after egg fertilization by sperm and lasts until up to week 2 of pregnancy.

A light bleeding after implantation is a very common symptom, which as I said earlier it is called “implantation bleeding”. Some women may confuse it with menstrual blood, but you should know that implantation bleeding distinguishes itself for being more fluid than menstrual flow. Its color often varies from pinkish to brownish.

The time it takes for this spotting or bleeding to disappear depends on each woman, but on average it can last from a few days to two weeks.

Other remarkable symptoms are: cramps, breast swelling and soreness, diarrhea or constipation, frequent urge to urinate, sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, foor aversions or cravings…

Nevertheless, as you said, it could be just your menstruation, in which case it would mean your IVF cycle has failed. Unfortunately, we can’t know it until you take the pregnancy test, which I hope is a positive one 🙂

Best wishes

04/01/2016 at 11:08 am
Leave a reply