Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
DIY self-insemination at home with husband’s sperm

DIY self-insemination at home with husband’s sperm

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Mariah w/ Support</span>
    Mariah w/ Support

Dear Moderator, my hubby and I are considering DIY self-insemination at home because he was diagnosed with severe azoospermia 2 years ago and we’ve been considering our fertility options ever since… As you may know, our only chance is donor sperm, unfortunately… But we’re determined to have a baby. Our question is how can we preserve the sample right after collecting it in the collection cup. Do we have to do something special, like putting it in the fridge or something? Just asking, we’ve no idea! Thanks for your help.

02/25/2016 at 10:36 am
  2. Dear Mariah,

ideally, home insemination should be done a few minutes after ejaculation. You should wait around 15-30 minutes for the semen sample to liquify, which consists in just letting it settle. As for the temperature, 37°C is the preferable one, but in case it is not possible, leaving it at room temperature will be fine as well.

Best wishes!

03/14/2016 at 10:13 am
    • Hi, I have a question… How long does sperm last outside of the body in a sealed container??

04/25/2016 at 4:22 pm
    • Dear azteca,

Outside the male body, sperms are able to survive no longer than 1 hour, since they start losing their properties, especially sperm motility. They are also affected by oxidative stress, sperm DNA fragmentation, etc.

04/25/2016 at 4:43 pm
Leave a reply