Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Does embryo grading increase success rates?

Does embryo grading increase success rates?

1. komo
    komo

I’m wondering if embryo grading techniques would help to increase successful birth rate

06/22/2018 at 3:47 am
  2. Dear komo,

In all IVF cycles, embryos are cultured in the lab for a few days prior to being transferred to the uterus of the patient. After embryo culture, the embryologist decides which ones are going to be transferred, which ones are non-viable, and which ones will be frozen for later use. In order to make the right decision, embryologists evaluate the quality of the embryos and grade them.

Embryologists examine the different characteristics of each embryo to determine their quality and implantation potential. Poor-quality embryos are likely to stop developing at some point, lead to implantation failure, or lead to miscarriage in the first months of pregnancy. Embryo grading and classification helps the embryologist to select the embryos with the highest chance of implantation and lead to an ongoing pregnancy.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

06/22/2018 at 8:59 am
  3. Happened to read such question quite often. The answers might be rather controversial though. We all expect that high grade embryos will definitely do miracles. Still I got pg with two 7 celled, grade 2 (same as B) embryos. I have a friend who cycled with me at the same time at the same clinic. She t/f’d 3 8 celled better quality embryos. I got pg, she didn’t. You never know which embryo will stick. Sometimes poor embryos become beautiful babies. With my embryos, we were part of this trial where they watched the embryos grow and took pictures. They rated them high or low based on whether they were dividing appropriately. 2 of my embryos were rated high, but neither of them stuck. With my last transfer, we got B grade embies. I thought if the high embryos didn’t stick, we didn’t have much hope. Well, I was mistaken and we did get BFP. Again you never know.

06/24/2018 at 11:28 am
  4. This is such a roller coaster! I’ve shared this on another thread. We never know what to expect with treatment stages. You might have had a perfect cycle. Lots of eggs, good fertilization rate, good quality embryos, excellent endometrium, easy embryo transfer. But then get no positive test! On the other hand others might have had a very poor IVF cycle. With few eggs and poor quality embryos. But they might end up getting pregnant! For me this is purely a gamble.

10/12/2018 at 11:14 am
Leave a reply