Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Does IVF egg temperature affect embryo development?

Does IVF egg temperature affect embryo development?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">arabella</span>
    arabella

Hi there,

I’m going to start a frozen donor egg cycle but have many doubts related to egg temperature changes. As far as I know, donated eggs are stored at the body temperature of the donor, but what about abrupt temperature changes when they are frozen? I’m worried my donor eggs lose their value after being defrosted.

02/17/2016 at 2:58 pm
  2. Dear arabella,

in every process where female human reproductive cells are manipulated, either in the collection, shipping to the laboratory, capacitation and later cryopreservation or fertilization procedures, experts use media and surfaces conditioned at 37°C, so temperature changes do not have an impact on egg quality.

When it is time to freeze the eggs, cryopreservation media are used, which avoid the formation of ice crystals that would cause breakage of the cell membranes. Thanks to latest advances in cryopreservation techniques, the survival rates of frozen eggs is really high, especially in the case of donor eggs, which are of an exceptional quality.

Thus, for your own peace of mind, success rates of frozen donor eggs are similar to those obtained in fresh cycles.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

03/02/2016 at 3:36 pm
Leave a reply