Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Does IVF increase my chances of having twins?

Does IVF increase my chances of having twins?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">nancy</span>
    nancy

Hi there! Let’s see if you are able to help me. We are undergoing an in vitro fertilization treatment. We’ve heard that since it is in vitro, even if a single embryo is transferred, there are greater chances for having identical twins than if it’s done naturally. But the thing is we don’t know how true it is. They say hormone stimulation makes embryos be more prone to develop into twins… and as if it was not enough my mom has a twin (not an identical one though), does it have an influence? I just want to have a single child! Thanks.

07/06/2015 at 8:33 am
  2. Dear Nancy,

Chances for having twins don’t increase because of undergoing assisted reproductive treatments. Monozygotic twin pregnancy occurs when an embryo splits into twins at some time very early, which results in two identical twins which are genetically identical. As for dizygotic twins (also referred to as “non-identical twins”), they develop in a different way. They are the result of two different eggs that have been fertilized by the same sperm cycle, which result in genetically different embryos.

During artificial insemination the ovaries are stimulated with hormones in order to get more than a single follicle to ripen within the same cycle. This increases the chances for having multiple births. As regards in vitro fertilization, more ripe eggs are obtained during a single cycle thanks to hormone stimulation, but the risk of having twins depends on how many embryos are transferred (from 1 up to 3 as a maximum). If just a single embryo is transferred, chances for it splitting into two at some time are those of natural pregnancy.

Regarding your question whether giving birth to twins runs in families or not, it hasn’t been proved that it passes from mother to daughter. Nevertheless, it is true that a pair of eggs leading to twins may ripen after a single cycle and it runs in families indeed.

Best regards.

07/06/2015 at 8:50 am
  3. I also heard that information about twins and frankly speaking hope this is true. I’ve just started my 2nd cycle at ********** and believe it’ll work for me. I also know it wasn’t proved that it passes through generations, but my grandmother has a twin, so my chances rise. Wish me luck!

08/08/2015 at 8:21 am
    • So you’re hoping to have twins? This is what I’ve understood after reading your reply. Thanks.

08/21/2015 at 10:50 am
  4. Hello doc,
    My BHCG is 273 after a two embryo transfer, which was 11 days before the beta test. It was a 5 day embryo transfer… Do you think I’m pregnant with twins? I’m freaking out!!!

06/27/2016 at 5:39 pm
    • Dear beetle33,

In principle, it is not a too high bHCG value, so there is no reason for it to be a twin pregnancy. Anyway, beta-hCG levels vary from woman to woman to a great extent, so there is no value considered to be “normal”.

What I’m trying to say is that a twin pregnancy cannot be 100% ruled out. My advice is that you wait up until your 1st ultrasound scan to confirm if it is a singleton or a twin pregnancy.

Hope this helps,

All the best

06/28/2016 at 4:23 pm
  5. First, let me start by saying that I wish you all the best in your endeavors. I am sure you will benefit from IVF just as I have seen many couples benefit from it. Second, on whether an embryo stimulated by hormones is more prone to develop into twins, I really don’t know if this is true or not. However, what I know is that multiples or twins in IVF are common and that the process increases the chance of having twins or even triplets. However, it all depends on many factors. What I know for certain is that with IVF, the doctor will determine the number of embryos to be implanted in the uterus. This way, he may choose to implant two, three or four according to your request. However, for ladies who choose to have a single embryo, it is rare to have twins or triplets. The chances are high that the embryo could split and this may result into twins. However, it is not guaranteed. So if you are looking forward to having twins, it is recommended that you discuss this with your doctor so that two or more embryos could be planted.

09/05/2017 at 7:01 am
  6. Every clinic has different views on how many to place back. Some perform it max of 3 embies at a time. Others allow them 2 only (If IP have nothing agains miltiple in case..And if a woman is healthy enought to carry more than one). It’s said if you’re 40+ you should definitely consider placing back 2 to boost chances. We followed plan B with 2 nice 5day blasts and succeeded. Hope everyone will get how many are meant for him.

10/12/2018 at 1:10 pm
  7. The chances of having twins really depends on the number of embryos being transferred. If more than one then obviously the chances are very high. However, if only one embryo is being transferred then the chances are not that high. In fact, the chances are very similar to natural birth. Good luck to you. I hope your process goes well. Do keep us updated. Sending baby dust your way.

10/26/2018 at 8:08 pm
  8. Those are purely my thought on whether it’s better to transfer 1 or 2 embies at a time. If you do get twins, you would live with the knowledge that you had 2 baby making embryos. That you could have transferred separately. And then you could had siblings with space in between that suits your time frame. And you would increase babys’ chances of being healthy and born at term.
    I know many people have trouble free, born at term twins with no medical issues for mum or bubbas. But many people don’t. Sometimes people lose both babies simply because there’s 2 in there at once. (I’m among them).
    Saying all that, I’m not trying to be critical of anyone who does double transfers ’cause did it myself. Or of anyone who who has twins – I would love to have them too!!! My last transfer was double. I did wish for twins because then I’d have genetic siblings and be totally finished with ivf forever. But I know now, after having 1 bubba, if i had have had twins, i probably would have regretted not transferring them 1 at a time a few years apart. I think i also would have worried a lot more during pregnancy. So having a singleton allows me to enjoy being pregant a lot more.
    But that’s all just me and my thoughts. I think it’s good to read and ask questions like you are doing and get a lot of different perspectives and things to think about that may not have occured to you. And yeah transferring 2 doesn’t make either embryo more likely to work..

11/27/2018 at 6:05 pm
  9. I suppose IVF doesn’t necessarily result in twins. But it can result in multiples. It depends on how many embryos are transferred at a time. Of course, this doesn’t mean that if 2 embies are put back then it’ll definitely result in 2 babies. Ladies write quite often about one of their embryos vanishes for some reason. Only one gets stuck inside. Others put back 2 and end up with 2 healthy babies. Or transfer 3 and have 3 little ones. I believe this is too individual.

12/12/2018 at 12:18 pm
Leave a reply