Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Does PGS test for down syndrome?

Does PGS test for down syndrome?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">selene marr</span>
    selene marr

Hello doc, down syndrome runs in my family and for that reason my DH and i are going to do ivf with pgs… we wanna make sure that our embryos are healthy and free of chromosomal abnormalities. Can you confirm if this technique tests for down syndrome as well? before we request this treatment…

03/13/2018 at 4:02 pm
  2. Dear selene marr,

Yes, PGS is used in IVF procedures to test for chromosomal normalcy. Down syndrome is an example of a chromosomal abnormality that should be detected by PGS.

I hope this helps,

Best

03/15/2018 at 4:33 pm
  3. Hello,
    Yes, PGS treatment is used to detect chromosome abnormalities of the embryos, which is developed by the IVF treatment. PGS test is important to detect genetic disorder, here embryo may be suffering because of genetic disease. It is also used to avoid miscarriages and pregnancy complications.

05/30/2018 at 7:56 am
  4. YES! PGD tests not only for genetic diseases but for chromosomal abnormalties. At the age of 35+ 50% or more of our embryos are going to be chromosomally abnormal. Most chromosomal abnormalties are fatal and end in MC. Some like trisomy 21 (Down’s syndrome) may result in a viable birth. So PGD is a must do with ivf. Best regards.

06/24/2018 at 1:01 pm
Leave a reply