Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Donor egg pregnancy supported with estrogen and progesterone

Donor egg pregnancy supported with estrogen and progesterone

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Michelle1987</span>
    Michelle1987

Hello, I’m halfway through my egg donation cycle, feeling super encouraged! I can’t wait for the embryo transfer any longer, because that means that my pregnancy is closer!

About a month and a half ago I started with contraceptives and as soon as my period showed up I started taking estrogen for 12 days.

Now I’m also taking progesterone and the truth is I am not sure why do I have to take progesterone too. I mean, I’ve been told that you have to continue taking progesterone even after getting pregnant, so why taking too much of this hormone?

02/07/2016 at 9:01 am
  2. Dear Michelle1987,

both estrogen and progesterone are used to prepare the endometrium for embryo implantation. By taking them, the endometrium acquires the desired thickness, especially thanks to estrogen release. However, it is progesterone the hormone that allows the final “maturation” of the endometrium, making it capable of supporting embryo implantation.

In other words, progesterone helps your body be in optimal conditions for embryo implantation, with the subsequent embryo development inside your uterine cavity. Usually, progesterone drugs have to be taken through the first trimester of pregnancy as well. From this moment on, progesterone released by the placenta will be enough for your pregnancy to continue developing without problems.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

02/16/2016 at 6:13 pm
Leave a reply