Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Egg donation and losing weight to get pregnant

Egg donation and losing weight to get pregnant

1. MCG79
    MCG79

I have been told that they do not think that i can concieve naturally and will need an egg donor, they have also told me that i must be this weight (12 stone 7lbs) I have lost 4 stone 3 lbs upto now of my target and need another 2 stone 3lbs, i have not been told why they think i can not concieve naturally.

My question is that a family member has offered to be an egg donor for me, i am not sure if this is a good or a bad idea?

Can anybody offer any advice on this for me please?

Thanks
    xxxx

05/20/2018 at 6:12 pm
  2. Dear Margaret Griffiths,

If your doctor has indicated that you should lose weight to increase your chances of getting pregnant, then you should follow his or her instructions. Several studies have indicated that losing as little as 5% of body weight can dramatically improve chances of pregnancy.

On the other hand, I don’t quite understand what do you mean by “i have not been told why they think i can not conceive naturally”. Do you mean they have told you that you won’t be able to conceive naturally even after having lost weight? If so, you should ask them what’s the cause, as there may be other infertility issues.

If they have considered that you need an egg donor, it may be due to low ovarian reserve, genetic diseases, etc., so ask them why you need an egg donor and what are your chances of success. As for using a family member, it’s possible depending on your country of residence. If yours is the USA, you can definitely use a family member as your egg donor.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

05/21/2018 at 9:25 am
    • I got told that they don’t think I can conceive naturally and that i would need an egg donor, but haven’t actually told me why they think I can’t conceive naturally. Got told that i need to get done to 12.5 stone for egg donor

05/21/2018 at 6:49 pm
  3. Hi Margaret,

The opinion from the doctor you have got is very strange an unprofessional to me. I would ask you explanation about it. @Sandra F The weight loss can increase chance of getting pregnant, but there is not guarantee that it will happen. Same goes for healthy life style, such as sport, good food. Stress free life and all other factors that can influence pregnancy.
    Having someone as a donor from you family is a good idea, but not the best one. It seems like we are going back in time, if you know what I mean with all of the consequences. I would better go and take another opinion from a fertility clinic.

05/27/2018 at 1:41 am
  4. Quite an interesting situation you’re in. So your dr says you’ll need donor egg and at the same time he says you should get rid of some extra lbs to boost your chances for NATURAL conceiving — isn’t this strange. I’m sorry if I got it wrong though. The point is that having donor egg as a backplan is just good. But I’d not rush onto it unless make sure natural conceiving is out of the question. And it’s super great your relative is this kind to offer you her healthy egg. But here the decision should not be made in haste anyway, hun. You may apply to ivf in the time flow. I’m sure it’s worth trying getting into the right BMI first though I know it’s not easy. A couple of things about me – 39 yrs old with 2 cycles ivf with my ex with low sperm quality behind. My right ovary never responded to the treatment. With my new dh came to the conclusion we’d need more opinions on the point, so did a huge work on self educating on ivf with donor egg which led us overseas. My amh is extremelly low so our new dr and we actually weren’t counting on those 3% chance with oe, so went straight to egg donation. A completely new experience for us!! Were feeling nervous and excited at the same point though I understand my genes with die with me..You’re in much better position, honey, with the help of your relative you’re have yours saved!!! This makes difference and I’m glad you have this option avaliable. I wish you all the best of luck!!
    PS: haven’t posted for some time as were off for initial app. with the clinic overseas. Hope getting back for longer. Babydust, ladies!!

05/29/2018 at 11:40 am
Leave a reply