Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Egg donation while on birth control

Egg donation while on birth control

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">megan m.</span>
    megan m.

Hi, I want to be an egg donor, but I’m currently on birth control since 2010, so it’s been now 5 years. What I want to know is whether I will be allowed to donate my eggs despite being on birth control, because some friends told me that maybe contraceptives can have a negative impact on fertility medications, since they are all hormone-based. TIA

12/05/2015 at 6:11 pm
  2. Dear Megan,

Being on birth control does not pose a problem if you can to participate in an egg donation program. In fact, it can even become beneficial, since it allows you to monitor you menstrual cycle more accurately.

During the egg donation cycle, you have to take hormone medications to trigger egg production. It should be clear that, throughout that month, you will have to stop taking contraceptives, but you can resume contraception after the donation without problems.

Even though this is the general modus operandi, some fertility clinics consider it a mandatory thing for egg donors to stop taking contraceptives during 2 months instead of just 1. But, as I said, this is not so common.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

12/17/2015 at 6:30 pm
Leave a reply