Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Using donor eggs and/or sperm pros/cons & choosing a donor

Using donor eggs and/or sperm pros/cons & choosing a donor

1. Jelena
    Jelena

Hi! I am Jelena. I want to know when is best to use egg and sperm donation? Can you choose a donor or can the clinic provide you one?

12/08/2017 at 11:01 pm
  2. Dear jelena,

To learn more about when to use donor eggs and/or sperm, my advice is that you visit this guide to third-party reproduction, particularly the section titled “Donor conception”. There you will find the answer to your question explained in detail.

As for choosing a donor or not, it depends on the regulations governing donor conception in your country or the country where your treatment is taking place. If both options are permitted, you will be able to choose; if not, it is most likely to be the clinic, as most countries (especially across Europe) require gamete donors to remain anonymous by law. See also: IVF Treatment Abroad.

I hope I’ve been able to help,

Best

12/11/2017 at 9:26 am
  3. Sperm donation is the name given to the process by which a man gives, or in the vast majority of cases, sells his semen to be used specifically to produce a baby. Sperm is normally donated at a sperm bank. Recipients of donated sperm may use sperm donation for a number of reasons. The recipient’s partner may be infertile or may well carry a genetic disease. The recipient’s partner is fertile but produces low amounts of sperm or sperm of poor quality. The recipient’s partner has previously undergone a vasectomy. In the case of a single woman, she may want to have a child but doesn’t want a male partner. Sperm donation allows a lesbian couple to have a baby.

12/13/2017 at 2:49 pm
  4. Sperm donation, involves the use of licensed donation clinics. Sperm donors are screened to meet certain requirements including age and medical history. The sperm is donated at a clinic by way of masturbation. It is then screened, washed and prepared. The sperm may then be used to inseminate a recipient woman using intrauterine insemination (IUI), or it is used to create an embryo using IVF, ICSI or other assisted reproductive treatments.

12/13/2017 at 3:45 pm
  5. A sperm donor is generally not intended to be the legal father of a child produced from his sperm. The law may however, make implications in relation to legal fatherhood or the absence of a father. Recipients may already know the donor, or if arranged through a broker, the donor may meet the recipients and become known to them.

12/14/2017 at 10:45 pm
Leave a reply