Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Embryo transfer: symptoms before positive outcome

Embryo transfer: symptoms before positive outcome

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">AlphaGirl</span>
    AlphaGirl

Howdy! What’s up?

4 days ago took place my blastocyst transfer (a 5-day-old embryo transfer)… My gynecologist told me the embryo was fantastic, which honestly cheered me up! But the thing is since yesterday I feel sick, kidney pain and of course my ovaries hurt like a lot!! And as if this were not enough today I spotted a tiny bit…

You see… I don’t know whether this is normal or not or if they are just menstruation symptoms (which, BTW, I’ve never experienced, my periods usually are not very painful). I think it could be early pregnancy symptoms because I was told you feel nuisances when the embryo transfer outcome is positive so…

Either way, help me please! Thanks.

08/24/2015 at 6:51 pm
  2. Good morning,

The symptoms you’ve mentioned are the typical ones derived from the embryo transfer, including the spotting. Here you can find further information about it: Symptoms After Embryo Transfer.

Either way, the best thing you can do for your own peace of mind is consulting your doctor.

Also, for those who are considering IVF, inviTRA can send you detailed cost estimates and get you special prices for your IVF treatment from international fertility clinics. If you are interested, all you have to do is fill out the following form and you will receive a free report in a few minutes: Cost Calculator for IVF.

I wish you good luck and let’s hope pregnancy has occurred!

Cheers.

08/25/2015 at 8:55 am
  3. Hey, how are you? I’m not an expert on this topic, but here’s my piece of advice…

I underwent embryo transfer last month, too. After experiencing the same symptoms you’ve mentioned, I decided to ask other women undergoing the same treatment at my clinic. All of them were experiencing to some extent those symptoms, so I decided to stay calm and keep my mind off this issue because it was driving me crazy. My gynecologist even told me those symptoms could mean something very positive: implantation symptoms! In other words, that maybe it was pregnancy.

This is just my experience, but I hope it helps 😉

Have a good one!

08/25/2015 at 2:03 pm
  4. Hello,

I really need help… please… I have a 2-embryo blast. transfer done 11 days ago. I did an urine test this morning and is negative. But I have all kind of symptoms. Nauseas, pain in my leg, lower back pain, my boobs are sore… I have laso headache, bloating, and everyday feel a lot of cramps like my period cramps.

I’m wondering if it’s normal or if I could be pregnant. My blood test is on Oct. 14th.

Thanks for your help.

10/13/2015 at 11:08 pm
    • Dear Domitila,

The symptoms you are experiencing are due to the stimulation of ovarian function medications prescribed for the treatment. Even the anxiety you’re developing because of the 2WW may lead to those symptoms. Performing a pregnancy test on day 11 post embryo transfer may show rather accurate results; nevertheless, in some cases it may still be too early for the hCG hormone levels to be detectable. If your period is still missing, my recommendation is that you repeat the test after a few days to confirm whether you are indeed pregnant or not. Do not cancel the hormone medications you are taking unless otherwise indicated by your doctor.

Cheers

10/14/2015 at 9:07 am
  5. Hello Sandra,

I need your help one more time… I did my blood test on October 14. Unfortunately I have 12 hCG. The nurse told me that I have to repeat again the test. She could not confirm if I pregnant or not…

Could you please tell me your opinion? I read on the internet that more than 5 is positive but a very low hCG level is not a good sign…

Thanks for you opinion.

10/18/2015 at 1:28 am
    • Hello again Domitila,

The nurse is right, it is a low hCG level; therefore, you should repeat the test after a few days.

Good luck!

10/19/2015 at 8:47 am
  6. Hello,

I had my embryo transfer on Dec the 7th. I took 5 days off of work and have been doing everything right. I had day 3 transfer with ICSI due to male infertility. I have a 12 year old naturally from previous relationship, right now I’m feeling all my normal period symptoms that I get: I’m feeling bloated, crampy, so moody, I woke up with a headache and I’m waking up through the night to pee a lot. According to my calendar I should be getting my period today, but not period, and according to this whole process if not successful I should get me period in 14 days which will be Sunday and my blood test is due on Monday. I’m just hoping that this worked and it’s not my period coming on. My husband doesn’t have any kids of his own and I’m 32 years old and would like to at least have one for him…

12/17/2015 at 10:26 pm
    • Hello shannon,

it’s now 11 days after the ET. The symptoms you’ve described to me here are totally normal and as a matter of fact they are usually similar to those of menstruation. It could be also because of your period, which would mean the fertility treatment has not been successful.

I look forward to hearing a positive response from you 🙂

Best wishes

12/18/2015 at 8:36 am
    • Hello Sandra, I’m tryna be as positive as possible, but I need more info. My first embryo transfer was on March, 22. It was a two grade C embryo transfer (day 3 of embryo development). Today I’m feeling some discomfort and cramps even when I’m lying on the sofa, breast soreness… I want to sleep all the time, especially in the evening. I fall sleep as soon as I close my eyes, literally! Im taking Utrogestan 200 mg every 8 hours but doctor said I’m a poor responder so the process will take longer than expected. I’ve read progesterone is obtained from dairy products and also meat, but I don’t eat either of them, just fruit and vegetables. Is it s problem then? Please, help me make it to pregnancy test due date!! This 2WW thing is killing me… and I think mine is a special situation. Regards!

03/27/2016 at 4:54 pm
    • Dear ER black,

progesterone is an important female reproductive hormone and has various functions in the female organism, such as regulating the menstrual cycle (along with estrogen) and maintaining pregnancy. An insufficient amount of progesterone may compromise the reproductive health of the woman.

This is the reason why women who cannot produce enough progesterone often suffer from infertility. This is the reason why women on fertility treatment are often prescribed progesterone supplements to regulate their menstrual cycle.

While it is true that eating foods containing natural progesterone can be beneficial, the percentage of this hormone they could provide you with would be very small if compared to that obtained by taking progesterone supplements. Eggs dairy products, zinc rich foods,yams, vitamin B6 rich foods and foods with phyto progesterone are advisable for increasing progesterone supply, but they are not a prerequisite after embryo transfer. So, in your case, there is no problem at all if you don’t eat none of these foods.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

03/31/2016 at 5:04 pm
    • Hi, I am 41 years old, I have not history of infertility. I get pregnant once at 26 years old but I decided to have an abort.I was very young and with not conditions to bring a child. But now I reach my most stable situation in life. The problem is that my husband has a vasectomy, he has a son from his previous marriage, that is why I am through the IVF process.I have been followed the long protocol. After obtained 7 eggs during the collection on April 9th, 4 of then fertilized, 2 of them in very good shape at the 3er day of fertilization and transferred on April 12 but the two remaining fertilized eggs did not survive on day 5 . I started to have more pronounced symptoms on day 6th after the embryo transfer, like: Pain in my breasts, especially in the nipples, hot in my hands in my breasts, pain in my low belly , sometimes acute, also cramps that rise up, heavy arms, frequent urination, suddenly cold hands, flatulence, headache(two times),drowsiness immediately after eating. I had revulsion like 15 min after eat with appetite like once or two times. Today is my day 9 after the transfer and I have less symptoms, my breasts are not so painful, have light cramps under the belly, not constant.I am very worry for that, I have not see yet the brown or blood signal of implantation, I know that is not always in all pregnant women. I will have the blood test on Tuesday April 25th.What do you think in your experience? I would like to know if the symptoms that I explained to you are normal after implantation?
      Thank you,
      Gisela

04/21/2017 at 9:10 pm
  7. Hello there, after two miscarriages I got a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks after my ET!!!! I’m in a bundle of joy 😀 I repeated it today (first was 2 days ago) and continues being positive…I’m very happy especially after 2 miscarriages which changed my life. But I’m afraid I’m going to lose my baby this time around so my question is: what is the miscarriage rate for IVF with ICSI? And what is the cause behind it? Is there any trimester in which a woman has more chances of having a miscarriage than other? Help me, please. Thanks

04/01/2016 at 5:12 pm
    • Hi Estele,

miscarriage is the loss of a baby and usually occurs at some point during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, so my answer to your last question is that it is more likely to happen during the first trimester. Miscarriage rate is 10-20% on average.

Most common causes are: chromosomal alterations and malformations. Not following a balanced diet, smoking, drinking alcohol, drug consumption, etc. are also factors that can have an influence on fetal development, because they could lead you to experience a hormone imbalance and could even be life-threatening for you and the baby.

Anyhow, having had previous miscarriages does not necessarily mean it is going to happen again, so lots of encouragement and wishing you the best!!!

Best regards

04/04/2016 at 11:18 am
  8. Has anyone ever tested negative on a HPT and then got a BFP on blood work??? I don’t know what to believe, if I’m pregnant or not. I’m kinda shattered… I let my nurse know and stated I shouldn’t trust the urine test. How right is she?

04/21/2016 at 4:19 pm
    • Dear Sophie,

Yes, this can occur as HPTs are not as accurate as blood pregnancy tests. If the blood work was positive, then it means you’re pregnant. My advice is that you repeat it in a week to see if your hCG levels keep on rising.

Best wishes

04/21/2016 at 4:23 pm
  9. Hi everyone,

My name is Ren, and I represent a reputable US-based company offering a potential solution to women who have been affected by infertility issues.

We are intending to launch a campaign for National Infertility Week next week in order to help raise awareness and help those who are struggling to afford potential treatments. To that end, we are interested in hearing from any women who have been diagnosed with infertility and are willing to share their story.

If that is you, please do send me a message on here and I would love to connect.

Ren

04/21/2016 at 11:40 pm
  10. Hello ladies. I am 39 years old (almost 40 actually), without history of infertility… I had a medical abortion once at age 24 because I was too young to bring a child (not a very good economical situation, my relationship wasn’t stable, etc.) Now this situation has changes as you can imagine, but the problem is that my DH has a vasectomy because he’s divorced and has a son from his previous marriage… so we had no choice but to turn to IVF… On April 17th, I had 2 day-3 embryos of very good shape transferred, and now I’m starting to have more pronounced symptoms (feeling them since day 6th), like sore nipples, heavy arms, cold hands, flatulence, headache, UTI-like symptoms, and revulsion like 15 min after eating. Today is day 9 post ET and have less symptoms, but still feel something, including cramps under the belly. I’m very concerned… My blood test is next April 30th… What do you think? Do you think these symptoms are normal pre-implantation signs? Thx

04/26/2017 at 1:12 pm
Leave a reply