Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Fertility tests and the suitable treatment for each situation

Fertility tests and the suitable treatment for each situation

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Rori</span>
    Rori

Hi there, I visited my gynecologist at my fertility clinic and after taking a check-up based on a hormone analysis for me and a seminogram for my husband, the results are fine, but we can’t achieve pregnancy, what should we do? should I start a fertility treatment? Help me, please.

09/14/2015 at 5:45 pm
  2. Dear Rori,

If you have been trying to conceive for over a year and you are 35 or younger, or if you are older than 35 and have been TTC for over 6 months, I recommend you to resort to a fertility clinic, since once that period of time has passed, then the most probable is that there is some fertility problem.

Unfortunately, we ourselves are not a clinic or center, but we count on a directory where you shall find a suitable treatment for your case. See also: Clinic Directory.

Good luck!

09/15/2015 at 1:50 pm
  3. Hi!! My situation is similar to that of Rori… My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for 1 year and a half but nothing yet. Besides, I had a miscarriage 3 months ago without curettage.

We visited a fertility clinic because we are desperate to be on parenthood and the first thing we did was undergoing a series of examinations. To date, everything is as it should, but we cannot wait to find out what is preventing us from being parents 🙁

I’d like to know whether we could undergo an IVF once all these tests have been performed and if so, could anybody give us some guidance?

Thank you very much!

09/15/2015 at 4:59 pm
    • I’m really sorry they cannot find the reason. But things just happen. This sounds more likely to end with ‘unexplained’ infertility. Let me ask, are you using own eggs? And what did they said as for your MC? Again I’m sorry for your loss. Are you considering PGD testing with ivf? Hoping for your best with treatments. Take care!

06/24/2018 at 2:12 pm
  4. Here are the lists of test we underwent before starting ivf procedure.
    Analyses and examinations required for women: Rw, HBs, HCV, HIV, syphilis (made no more than 6 months before that). TORCH infections (rubella and toxoplasmosis). Vaginal discharge analysis. Karyotype analysis (termless). Blood group and Rhesus factor (termless). Complete Blood Count (CBC) made no more than 1 month before that. Biochemical blood count (bilirubin, AST, ALT, kreatinin, complete protein). Koagulogram. LH (luteinizing hormone). FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone). Vaginal and cervical canal swab (no more than 6 months before). Microscopic examination of vaginal canal. Pelvic organs ultrasound. Breast ultrasound. Attending physician’s opinion Anti-muller hormone test.
    Analyses and examinations required for men: Rw (Wasserman test). HBs. HCV. HIV (no more than 3 months before). Blood group and Rhesus factor (termless). Karyotype analysis (termless). Spermogram (no more than 3 months). ICSI screening.
    These may vary within clinics.

06/24/2018 at 2:05 pm
  5. Firstly, I’m sorry you’ve found yourself here. Secondly, you’re both involved into the process. So I’m going to start with tests for men.
    Male fertility requires that the testicles produce enough healthy sperm, and that the sperm is ejaculated effectively into the woman’s vagina and travels to the egg. Tests for male infertility attempt to determine whether any of these processes are impaired.
    You may have a general physical exam, including examination of your genitals. Specific fertility tests may include:
    Semen analysis. Your doctor may ask for one or more semen specimens. Semen is generally obtained by masturbating or by interrupting intercourse and ejaculating your semen into a clean container. A lab analyzes your semen specimen. In some cases, sperm may be tested for in the urine.
    Hormone testing. You may have a blood test to determine the level of testosterone and other male hormones.
    Genetic testing. Genetic testing may be done to determine whether there’s a genetic defect causing infertility.
    Testicular biopsy. In select cases, a testicular biopsy may be performed to identify abnormalities contributing to infertility and to retrieve sperm to use with assisted reproductive techniques, such as IVF.
    Imaging. In certain situations, imaging studies such as a brain MRI, bone mineral density scan, transrectal or scrotal ultrasound, or a test of the vas deferens (vasography) may be performed.
    Other specialty testing. In rare cases, other tests to evaluate the quality of the sperm may be performed, such as evaluating a semen specimen for DNA abnormalities.
    Then tests for women:
    You may have a general physical exam, including a regular gynecological exam. Specific fertility tests may include:
    Ovulation testing. A blood test measures hormone levels to determine whether you’re ovulating.
    Hysterosalpingography. Hysterosalpingography (his-tur-o-sal-ping-GOG-ruh-fee) evaluates the condition of your uterus and fallopian tubes and looks for blockages or other problems. X-ray contrast is injected into your uterus, and an X-ray is taken to determine if the cavity is normal and ensure the fluid spills out of your fallopian tubes.
    Ovarian reserve testing. This testing helps determine the quality and quantity of the eggs available for ovulation. This approach often begins with hormone testing early in the menstrual cycle.
    Other hormone testing. Other hormone tests check levels of ovulatory hormones, as well as pituitary hormones that control reproductive processes.
    Imaging tests. Pelvic ultrasound looks for uterine or fallopian tube disease. Sometimes a hysterosonography (his-tur-o-suh-NOG-ruh-fee) is used to see details inside the uterus that are not seen on a regular ultrasound.
    Depending on your situation, rarely your testing may include:
    Hysteroscopy. Based on your symptoms, your doctor may request a hysteroscopy to look for uterine or fallopian tube disease. During hysteroscopy, your doctor inserts a thin, lighted device through your cervix into your uterus to view any potential abnormalities.
    Laparoscopy. This minimally invasive surgery involves making a small incision beneath your navel and inserting a thin viewing device to examine your fallopian tubes, ovaries and uterus. A laparoscopy may identify endometriosis, scarring, blockages or irregularities of the fallopian tubes, and problems with the ovaries and uterus.
    Genetic testing. Genetic testing helps determine whether there’s a genetic defect causing infertility.
    Not everyone needs to have all, or even many, of these tests before the cause of infertility is found. You and your doctor will decide which tests you will have and when.

12/13/2018 at 11:12 am
  6. Treatment– Infertility treatment depends on:
    What’s causing the infertility
    How long you’ve been infertile
    Your age and your partner’s age
    Personal preferences
    Some causes of infertility can’t be corrected.
    In cases where spontaneous pregnancy doesn’t happen, couples can often still achieve a pregnancy through use of assisted reproductive technology. Infertility treatment may involve significant financial, physical, psychological and time commitments.
    Treatment for men:
    Men’s options can include treatment for general sexual problems or lack of healthy sperm. Treatment may include:
    Altering lifestyle factors. Improving lifestyle and behavioral factors can improve chances for pregnancy, including discontinuing select medications, reducing/eliminating harmful substances, improving frequency and timing of intercourse, establishing regular exercise, and optimizing other factors that may otherwise impair fertility.
    Medications. Certain medications may improve a man’s sperm count and likelihood for achieving a successful pregnancy. These medicines may increase testicular function, including sperm production and quality.
    Surgery. In select conditions, surgery may be able to reverse a sperm blockage and restore fertility. In other cases, surgically repairing a varicocele may improve overall chances for pregnancy.
    Sperm retrieval. These techniques obtain sperm when ejaculation is a problem or when no sperm are present in the ejaculated fluid. They may also be used in cases where assisted reproductive techniques are planned and sperm counts are low or otherwise abnormal.
    Treatment for women:
    Although a woman may need just one or two therapies to restore fertility, it’s possible that several different types of treatment may be needed before she’s able to conceive.
    Stimulating ovulation with fertility drugs. Fertility drugs are the main treatment for women who are infertile due to ovulation disorders. These medications regulate or induce ovulation. Talk with your doctor about fertility drug options — including the benefits and risks of each type.
    Intrauterine insemination (IUI). During IUI, healthy sperm are placed directly in the uterus around the time the woman’s ovary releases one or more eggs to be fertilized. Depending on the reasons for infertility, the timing of IUI can be coordinated with your normal cycle or with fertility medications.
    Surgery to restore fertility. Uterine problems such as endometrial polyps, a uterine septum or intrauterine scar tissue can be treated with hysteroscopic surgery.

12/13/2018 at 11:15 am
  7. Finally, my last post on this thread. All the info shared is taken from the Internet. Thought it’ll provide some of the good answers to your former post. And, of course, wanted to be helpful. So here it goes~
    Other techniques are sometimes used in an IVF cycle, such as:
    Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). A single healthy sperm is injected directly into a mature egg. ICSI is often used when there is poor semen quality or quantity, or if fertilization attempts during prior IVF cycles failed.
    Assisted hatching. This technique assists the implantation of the embryo into the lining of the uterus by opening the outer covering of the embryo (hatching).
    Donor eggs or sperm. Most ART is done using the woman’s own eggs and her partner’s sperm. However, if there are severe problems with either the eggs or sperm, you may choose to use eggs, sperm or embryos from a known or anonymous donor.
    Gestational carrier. Women who don’t have a functional uterus or for whom pregnancy poses a serious health risk might choose IVF using a gestational carrier. In this case, the couple’s embryo is placed in the uterus of the carrier for pregnancy.

12/13/2018 at 11:19 am
  8. The quality of a woman’s eggs is important in creating a healthy embryo. The reason for this is that the egg does most of the work in accepting the DNA from sperm. and facilitating the mix of genes resulting in the creation of an embryo. As maternal age advances, the percentage of chromosomally abnormal eggs increases. reducing the chance of creating a healthy embryo naturally. There is also growing evidence that low ovarian reserve is associated with poor egg quality. A past history of endometriosis and ovarian surgery may also reduce egg health and quantity. The investigations for egg health include an AMH blood test which is a measure of ovarian reserve. In the setting of IVF low AMH may be related to poorer pregnancy outcomes. Egg quality may also be assessed during the IVF process by observing the capacity of an embryo to grow to the blastocyst stage. Treatments to improve the health of eggs may include:
    The increase in stimulating drugs to obtain more eggs;
    Addition of androgens and growth hormone in patients who are defined as poor responders;
    Use of PGS of embryos for selection of the healthiest embryo;
    Egg donation may be an option to consider.

01/23/2019 at 10:13 am
  9. Just coming back to the thread. Please, get aware of possible treatment complications too. Those are: Multiple pregnancy. The most common complication of infertility treatment is a multiple pregnancy. Generally, the greater the number of fetuses, the higher the risk of premature labor and delivery. as well as problems during pregnancy such as gestational diabetes. Babies born prematurely are at increased risk of health and developmental problems. Talk to your doctor about ways to prevent a multiple pregnancy before you begin treatment.
    Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). Fertility medications to induce ovulation can cause OHSS, in which the ovaries become swollen and painful. Symptoms may include mild abdominal pain, bloating and nausea that lasts about a week, or longer if you become pregnant. Rarely, a more severe form causes rapid weight gain and shortness of breath requiring emergency treatment.
    Bleeding or infection. As with any invasive procedure, there is a rare risk of bleeding or infection with assisted reproductive technology.
    Seek for doc’s help whenever you suspect any of these.

06/23/2019 at 12:53 pm
  10. hello
    I also have a concern… How do I know if I’m on my fertile days, is there any calculator for fertile days?

10/20/2019 at 8:11 pm
  11. Hello Soraya

You’ll find out about your fertile days by using an ovulation calendar or ovulation test. The former only allows you to find out the expected ovulation day when you know the exact date of the last menstrual cycle and provided you have regular periods. If your cycle is 28 days, it occurs on the 14th day meaning that ovulation always occurs halfway through ones cycle.

Hope I was able to help,

best regards

10/21/2019 at 12:26 pm
Leave a reply